Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Professionally made websites

Zyvo

I'm currently taking an HTML class and would like to know.
I'm thinking about charging about $10 per page, but price is based on demand, especially with the low economy.

How many of you would even want a professionally made website?
(BTW I'm probably the cheapest person you'll ever find that actually learned how to do this the right way.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, I know your very technical about things.

But the class I'm in is in collage, and the instructor said something that actually made sense the other day.

Once I finish this class, I should be able to interview anyone and make a webpage based on what they want.

What I meant by professional was that I actually spent the time in class and learned how to program websites with out turning to read little instructions on the internet, like most of you on here.

BTW, I'm not just starting the class, I'm about half way through it now.

@Zyvo:

> But the class I'm in is in collage, and the instructor said something that actually made sense the other day.

Attending a "[collage](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collage)"  class does not make you a professional, especially one on HTML.
[sarcasm]Wow! Your instructor said something that made sense? That must be an excellent class you are attending![/sarcasm]

@Zyvo:

> What I meant by professional was that I actually spent the time in class and learned how to program websites with out turning to read little instructions on the internet, like most of you on here.

First point, most internet tutorials are written by people who know what they're talking about.
Secondly, what makes you think that being taught something in a class is the only "good" or "right" way to learn something? Apart from internet tutorials, there are many, many books on the subject.
As a final thing that I would like to say, surely being able to do something is more important than being taught to do something. Surely it matters more that you are actually capable in a subject, not that you can say that you are.

PS: Please do add a "Nothing" option to the poll.
if I needed a website, I'd do it myself.

@Zyvo:

> But the class I'm in is in collage, and the instructor said something that actually made sense the other day.

And..?

@Zyvo:

> Once I finish this class, I should be able to interview anyone and make a webpage based on what they want.

You don't need to attend a fucking class to know how to handle website requests.

@Zyvo:

> What I meant by professional was that I actually spent the time in class and learned how to program websites with out turning to read little instructions on the internet, like most of you on here.

HTML is stupidly easy to learn. The fact is, everyone has a collection of references when they're programming, no matter what the language. You obviously know nothing about it if you're sticking your nose up at that.

@Zyvo:

> BTW, I'm not just starting the class, I'm about half way through it now.

And your tutor only just said something that 'made sense'?

@Zyvo:

> hey, you dont have to flam me, i'm just asking.
>
> Anyways most profesionally made websites would run you about $50-100/ page.
>
> Also i can code in HTML quite well. I know I'm still considered a newb at it but I will get better.

I'm not flaming you, I just don't like it when people try and make out they're better than they actually are.

@Zyvo:

> hey, you dont have to flam me, i'm just asking.
>
> Anyways most profesionally made websites would run you about $50-100/ page.
>
> Also i can code in HTML quite well. I know I'm still considered a newb at it but I will get better.

There's a big difference between what something with experience who has never attended a html college thing (http://x3tech.com) can do compared to someone who did attend some html college stuff (No Example For Now).

Regards, Xeross

I just reset the poll to post a question that made more sense.

I really don't have anything to show atm. In order for me to show you something I actually made i would have to have you download the files for some of my classwork. I'll make my own website as soon as i have time and I'll show you that.

I'll put it as a pic.

@Robin:

> Making a good website isn't down to the scripting. Anyone can do a HTML site with references.
>
> It all comes down to design. Get a good design, and you can easily program it.
>
> ![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/webbyu.png)

Looks smexy, But I think it wouldn't be hard for me to copy. Creating from scratch and looking like you didn't rip something is the hardest thing :)

Regards, Xeross

@Robin:

> I'm not flaming you, I just don't like it when people try and make out they're better than they actually are.

I agree with your previous notions, I started working with html at 11 years old, thought I was a big shot, and probably did something close to what he just did. Anyways I eventually moved to css for mark-ups(it was around the time the "web2.0" was just hitting off.), and some php.  present day I work with very little html, primarily it's css, php, javascript, flash, ect. Taking note those are in a collaboration effort to produce both a client-side and server-side website. I use LAMP servers to handle all the server side requests on a local machine running BSD. The point I'm making is, I know my fair share of web design and development, far beyond simple html websites, and I wouldn't consider myself a professional. Not by any means. Spend years learning several languages to produce truly professional websites, and we'll talk about charging. You might get a kid or two to go for it, but anyone looking sensible, with little or no code knowledge, looking to pay for a website, would most likely go for a pre-made solution such as a template, [hell, you can even get some nice ones for free.](http://templates.arcsin.se/demo/grunge-superstar-website-template/)

Who goes to college to learn HTML? I am in for Philosophy and Physics after two years of Electrical Engineering and I work FOR A LIVING web development and database administration. It doesn't take a degree to code a functional and clean website. Also, nice spread Robin, that is very nice.

I've got a Server-side Scripting module in my Software Engineering course at college.

We spent about 20 minutes of our first class going through HTML for the kids who had never used it before.

After 20 minutes, we went into MySQL and PHP. We've had 2 classes and we've already started work on a PHP scripted website which'll allow people to login and download MP3 files.

Anyone who needs to spend any time at all learning HTML is in the wrong place.