Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Random Server Crashes

Chris2

Everytime i warp to map 1 then back to 2 via the admin panel my server crashes and gives me a Run-time error '9' and highlights

If Map(MapNum).Events(id).PageCount >= page Then

it only happens when i warp and i have no events there

if you figure the fix, please dumb it down a lot when explaining. I'm kinda new at this :)

> Try delete all events

Get out. Now.

Don't attempt to help if you have -no- absolute clue what you're on about, it only causes broken foundations.

RTE 9: Subscript Out of Range can mean many things:

* You attempted to use a nonexistent array element.
* You created an array, but didn't specify the range. (eg. Dim myArr() As Integer: myArr(4) = 29 will error.)
* It also can mean invalid referencing with shorthand code, or referencing a nonexistant collection, but I doubt it's that.

I suspect it's the second issue. I basically either attempting to use an index in an array that's higher/lower than what's been assigned to it.

"If Map(MapNum).Events(id).PageCount >= page Then"

There are two things that could go wrong here (I can point out more, but we'll try that out if I'm wrong in my assumption), MapNum or id. 

Recreate the error, and **hover over both MapNum and id**, and it'd tell you the current values. 

Note the values, and then look up the array range for Map/Map().Events, and see if it's larger/smaller than the range. If it is, locate exactly what's passing that through that procedure, once you've determined a target, come back. :D

@Carim, he's not completely off. I've had this once when the server magically saved some bogus event data in one map for some reason. Deleting the event file for said map fixed it, never quite figured out what happened though.

Anyhow, those steps work for some heavy debugging. But personally I would start with the simplest of solutions: Trying to delete the file that holds the events for both those maps.

> @Carim, he's not completely off. I've had this once when the server magically saved some bogus event data in one map for some reason. Deleting the event file for said map fixed it, never quite figured out what happened though.
>
>  
>
> Anyhow, those steps work for some heavy debugging. But personally I would start with the simplest of solutions: Trying to delete the file that holds the events for both those maps.

I can't believe this actually worked, comes to show sometimes the easiest solution is the best 

thanks a alot!

> Get out. Now.
>
> Don't attempt to help if you have -no- absolute clue what you're on about, it only causes broken foundations.
>
>  
>
> * * *
>
>  
>
> RTE 9: Subscript Out of Range can mean many things:
>
> * You attempted to use a nonexistent array element.
> * You created an array, but didn't specify the range. (eg. Dim myArr() As Integer: myArr(4) = 29 will error.)
> * It also can mean invalid referencing with shorthand code, or referencing a nonexistant collection, but I doubt it's that.
>
> I suspect it's the second issue. I basically either attempting to use an index in an array that's higher/lower than what's been assigned to it.
>
>  
>
> "If Map(MapNum).Events(id).PageCount >= page Then"
>
>  
>
> There are two things that could go wrong here (I can point out more, but we'll try that out if I'm wrong in my assumption), MapNum or id. 
>
>  
>
> Recreate the error, and **hover over both MapNum and id**, and it'd tell you the current values. 
>
>  
>
> Note the values, and then look up the array range for Map/Map().Events, and see if it's larger/smaller than the range. If it is, locate exactly what's passing that through that procedure, once you've determined a target, come back. :D

Aperrently deleting event files fixed it, i'm not sure what happend but if it happens again i'll try to figure it out and post here on the forums, thanks for your help man :)

There is an underlying issue somewhere, and it has to be fixed eventually. But in the past year or so I have only had it happen once, and never managed to figure out WHY exactly that data was saved the way it did. So with some luck it'll simply never happen again.

> @Carim, he's not completely off. I've had this once when the server magically saved some bogus event data in one map for some reason. Deleting the event file for said map fixed it, never quite figured out what happened though.
>
> Anyhow, those steps work for some heavy debugging. But personally I would start with the simplest of solutions: Trying to delete the file that holds the events for both those maps.

I know he isn't off, but he obviously doesn't understand why it's gone wrong, and that doesn't educate anybody.

What if somebody had filled up their events, got this error, and stumbled upon this as a 'solution'? All that work, gone?

I figure it's better to fix it while it happens, rather than just leave it to absolutely cripple you later on?

Well. At least the error's gone. It certainly isn't fixed, though.

And why force someone that possibly has little understanding of the language struggle with debugging and then have them give up on their project entirely because they don't understand anything of it? The Event System as it is is NOT a good way to start your debugging carreer and his map had no events on it so those shouldn't have caused it. If there ARE events on said map THEN you can start debugging it this way as there is something to debug, now it'd just be a chase as to why the data was saved the way it did.