Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some Perspective Please

crusix221

I've been around since the good old closed source PW days and have been thinking about jumping back in but I have some hesitations. First being how limited is the Eclipse Gold engine, can you really ever make it feel like your own? Second being, is there any point in buying the license now with Eclipse V around the corner. It seems to me like PC only games are a dying breed and at least with HTML you have Mac / tablet appeal as well. Thoughts and comments are welcome please.

If you were to jump back into Eclipse, I would suggest using an open-source engine so that you may make your game feel unique among the rabble. Even if you don't know how to program (yet) you can go and add features via tutorials. Still will make your game stick out a bit from the rest.

Good luck, whatever your decision!

I bet V will have a subscription just the same as 4 for un-lockable features. I almost want bet that those of us who bought Gold for 4 would also get the V subscription - if there is one. No one will probably know until it's released. EO4, if you don't know how to program could save you some snags. It is possible to make a semi-unique game in EO4, IF you have a GOOD IMAGINATION to think outside the box while working in your editors. Might I add, I think I'm one of the only ones actually working within EO4, so to make a unique game within EO4 itself would be easy, as there's no other games to compare it to.

People who lack imagination can have an engine loaded with features & have a shoddy game. People with a good imagination could have the most basic engine ever & make an epic game using the tools at their disposal.

To put it in perspective. - A Novice with a Claymore could easily succumb to a Master that was using only their bare hands, simply because he knows how to use his limitations well. While the novice with his in-experience, thought the large weapon would give him an advantage.

I really like how Abyssrayel put that. I will jump in and toss 2 cents.

First, EclipseV does not have a pricing plan yet. No matter what the plan is in the end, Gold members will receive an appropriate discount.

Second, from a programming standpoint, if you have knowledge to look at code in tutorial forum, transfer it over into a source (easy as copy and paste) AND fix any conflicts that arise in the process then I would say go for open source. If you do not have the basic knowledge to fix errors that you generate when working with the source you are going to spend 95% of your time raging at code and no part of a game unique or not will be made.

I do also agree with Abyssrayel and Jcsnider. EO4 is great for beginners like me who just want to play around with making a simple game as a hobby and are not as dedicated to their project as some. oh and Abyssrayel I also am "using" EO4 to build my game lol. But I highly recommend, like they said if you know how to code go for open source since EO4 will kinda limit you. But if you're like me EO4 is kinda a god send…

I too agree to the 3 people above my post, you'll spend a lot more time learning how to program than creating content for your engine. My advice is if you are a complete beginner at all this, your best approach would be something stable for you use.