Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ubuntu!

Xavi

Well I recently got Ubuntu on my computer, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've always been curious with Linux, but I always thought that it wouldn't do what I wanted considering I'm a Windowsaholic. But with the combination of wine sometimes working and the many built-for-Linux software alternatives kept me off windows for most things, except for trying Eclipse Origins, which I couldn't even get the client to open.

There are lot's of things I still haven't figured out, but I think I might be able to almost fully transfer to Ubuntu in no more then a month… which would be awesome. Trying to find Linux alternatives also forced me to try Eclipse C/C++ compiler, a.k.a "not visual C++" and I'm glad I did. No more Microsoft compilers for me!

-_Xavi_

@Xavi:

> Well I recently got Ubuntu on my computer, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've always been curious with Linux, but I always thought that it wouldn't do what I wanted considering I'm a Windowsaholic. But with the combination of wine sometimes working and the many built-for-Linux software alternatives kept me off windows for most things, except for trying Eclipse Origins, which I couldn't even get the client to open.
>
> There are lot's of things I still haven't figured out, but I think I might be able to almost fully transfer to Ubuntu in no more then a month… which would be awesome. Trying to find Linux alternatives also forced me to try Eclipse C/C++ compiler, a.k.a "not visual C++" and I'm glad I did. No more Microsoft compilers for me!
>
> -_Xavi_

Does whatever your talking about (I didnt read it all) Let you source edit? o.o

@Xavi:

> Well I recently got Ubuntu on my computer, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've always been curious with Linux, but I always thought that it wouldn't do what I wanted considering I'm a Windowsaholic. But with the combination of wine sometimes working and the many built-for-Linux software alternatives kept me off windows for most things, except for trying Eclipse Origins, which I couldn't even get the client to open.
>
> There are lot's of things I still haven't figured out, but I think I might be able to almost fully transfer to Ubuntu in no more then a month… which would be awesome. Trying to find Linux alternatives also forced me to try Eclipse C/C++ compiler, a.k.a "not visual C++" and I'm glad I did. No more Microsoft compilers for me!
>
> -_Xavi_

Microsoft Visual C++ actually fails at being at least compatible with the C/C++ standard (a.k.a. C89/C99/C++ ISO). In my opinion it's one of the worst compilers out there, but then again, and quite ironically, the best one available for Microsoft Windows (Mobile) development (as other compilers can't interface properly with the libraries written by Microsoft; and that's also the reason why I use Microsoft Visual C++ for compiling Windows (Mobile) executables).

@Zetta:

> yeh its nice. I use it for programming and stuff.

That, television, web browsing, MSN, developing and testing Synkhronix, etc.

@viciousdead:

> @Xavi:
>
> > Well I recently got Ubuntu on my computer, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've always been curious with Linux, but I always thought that it wouldn't do what I wanted considering I'm a Windowsaholic. But with the combination of wine sometimes working and the many built-for-Linux software alternatives kept me off windows for most things, except for trying Eclipse Origins, which I couldn't even get the client to open.
> >
> > There are lot's of things I still haven't figured out, but I think I might be able to almost fully transfer to Ubuntu in no more then a month… which would be awesome. Trying to find Linux alternatives also forced me to try Eclipse C/C++ compiler, a.k.a "not visual C++" and I'm glad I did. No more Microsoft compilers for me!
> >
> > -_Xavi_
>
> Does whatever your talking about (I didnt read it all) Let you source edit? o.o

Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 should work via WINE, but Eclipse itself most likely doesn't as WINE doesn't support most Windows libraries properly yet. I however tried my own applications written in C++ once, which worked as they were only using WinAPI, so that should work fine, but DirectX might not (But then again, developers should be using OpenGL as it is proven to be better than DirectX, especially on Nvidia cards).

@Olliepop#20:

> I hated Ubuntu so much. Are you dual-booting?

I have Linux-only computers (but also quad-boot/penta-boot computers for programming purposes), but I'm not sure whether you just hate Ubuntu or the whole Linux kernel and all the distributions; and if it is just Ubuntu, did you try it at the time Draky Dapper (6.06) was out; or when Karmic Koala (9.10) was out?

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Harris:

> If I was to install Ubuntu would my computer prompt me to pick what OS I went on to every time I turn my PC on? Because I want to use Ubuntu but my family uses windows.

Yes, it installs GRUB and auto-configures it to show Windows as a boot option as well when you have Windows installed.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Yes, I'm using dual boot.
@viciousdead:

> @Xavi:
>
> > Well I recently got Ubuntu on my computer, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've always been curious with Linux, but I always thought that it wouldn't do what I wanted considering I'm a Windowsaholic. But with the combination of wine sometimes working and the many built-for-Linux software alternatives kept me off windows for most things, except for trying Eclipse Origins, which I couldn't even get the client to open.
> >
> > There are lot's of things I still haven't figured out, but I think I might be able to almost fully transfer to Ubuntu in no more then a month… which would be awesome. Trying to find Linux alternatives also forced me to try Eclipse C/C++ compiler, a.k.a "not visual C++" and I'm glad I did. No more Microsoft compilers for me!
> >
> > -_Xavi_
>
> Does whatever your talking about (I didnt read it all) Let you source edit? o.o

Well, Linux operating systems tend to be a more developer-friendly OS compared to windows. If your using VB6, though, Linux might actually make it harder, because you have to use WINE. Using wine is ok, but certain things might not work correctly.