Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pet source

mrblobby

many people have been telling me sourceing is the way to go for this. but i have no idea how to source  :huh: so i am posting here.i have the script sofar when i use item 98 on an npc it will be a chance of 1 in 10 chance of it becomeing a pet i have that script sorted. but i need the atual item that summons the pet. could anybody source me the atual pet? i would like it to follow me arround and do npc vs npc combat. i would like this source in a scripted item if possible. thatnks for all help!  ;)

I am willing to do it, for pay, though paypal. PM me if interested.
I just finished up one yesterday for someone…

Pictures of my work...
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4400/pet1.png
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7043/pet2.png
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6567/pet3.png

if you could get your pet system to attack npcs 3 smilly face. i would use it! but could it be in the source that you can select witch npc it summons out? I mean when you select weapon, sheild ect there should be a pet selection and you select the npc number you want to summon! and that item will summon that pet. if that could be done that would be great then i can have multiple choices of pets! (in all different scripted items) if that could be an extra feature that would be really awsome :D

Mine has attacking NPCs but both of ours is just an item that is a pet. So the player dosen't choose the pet. All and all, there will be no scripted items. It is all done in the source…. look at this screenshot...
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6567/pet3.png

Example:
- you spawn an NPC\pet
- NPC\pet helps you if you attack a NPC
- you want to fight against more NPCs, so you tell to your NPC\pet to attack them for you?

In my own opinion, it can be possible only to duel against 1 only NPC. It's true you can use "spell(s)" to damage more NPCs around you, but at that point you simply risk to be stucked bacause you attract too many NPCs at your position. If you are in a bad location and you can't walk on NPCs … you have to fight against them as long as they are defeated. It sucks .. No?

At last I advise you to change point of view. Try to imagine this:
- you spawn an NPC\pet
- NPC\pet helps you if you attack a NPC
- you want to fight against more NPCs
- NPC\pet helps you defeating NPCs aroung you without a precise command of yours.
(or)
- you are attacked by NPCs
- NPC\pet must support you immediately without a precise command of yours.

Also, NPC\pet should fight as long as it can because "you" are in danger.

Example:
- every NPC has a range of action, so if you are too near to it, it can attack you.
- you send your NPC\pet to duel against a NPC - and your NPC\pet wins (hypotesis)
- NPC(s) around the first one will attack your NPC\pet - and your NPC\pet loses
-  (at this point) NPC(s) should attack you because you suggested them by your NPC\pet.

That should be a good "pet system", in my own opinion.

All this is not so easy to code, anyway. At this moment I'm only able to increase value of DEF-STR when\if a player spawn an his own NPC\pet on the map. On the contrary if a player removes his own NPC\pet, his attributes are restored. I base myself on the fact that the NPC\pet "increases" the power of your abilities to attack\defence yourself and so on.

I can also to set correctly the type of NPC\pet I want to spawn. For example:
- you joined in "MaryPoppins" guild, your NPC\pet will always be the type number "80"
- you joined in "Pluto" guild, your NPC\pet will always be the type number "125"
.. and so on.. I just code functions [ PetSpawn() - PetRemove() ]  in Server Side and I recall them from a scripted item.
To spawn a specif pet, you should start to think to divide players, not in guilds. It's long to explain, shortly I changed everything about Guild assigment or similar. I delete and code all that part myself. And the system runs - as you can see from my previous screenshots.

Anyway there's a bad thing I'm tring to fix now. When you attack an NPC, and you run away, .. the NPC targets you and starts to follow you. You have to put  some "NPC Avoid" blocks in the map to stop him. Right? Well, that's simply ridiculous. When you are too far away, the NPC should have to stop to target you and return at its original position.

I'm ignorant about VB, but I think there can be other things to improve before to start to consider to add a "pet system".

Those are some really good ideas. I am not too sure I like the guild but that is something to think about with the pet auto attacking anything that may attack you. Truthfully that would not be too hard to code… at least with mine, I would have to run the code every now and then if pet is attacking then exit sub else, then do a for max_map_npcs check their targets, if their target is the player then set the pets target to npc (npcnum).

Something like that isnt hard. It is the overall pet system. I have done it, but It took me several hours and I didnt documentate every change I made. So I would have to do it again (even slower) if I wished to release it to the whole community.

Dude. You Could Probroally Win A Scripting Contest, And be Hailed As Lord Of Pets If You COuld Do THis. It Would Also Make The Creators Of Eclispe, Might Even Hire You For Script Making If You Want. Dude, I Beleive, And Many Others, It Is An Honor To Make Such A Script For Players. You Might become Just As Famous As J.R.R. Lord Of The Ringsâ„¢ (Ok Maybe Not THAT Famous) But Pretty Well Known :) This Would Be Helpful To A LOT Of Games…

*Partially Off Topic*
Really, pets shouldn't be the main part of an eclipse game. If you are going to rely on pets so much then you should go ahead and give up.

Not saying that pets aren't cool. I am saying that before you go for the extra and non-needed features for a game you should first hit up a quest system and stuff like that.

I do not wish for any type of fame here at Eclipse. :p

@jcsnider:

> *Partially Off Topic*
> Really, pets shouldn't be the main part of an eclipse game. If you are going to rely on pets so much then you should go ahead and give up.
>
> Not saying that pets aren't cool. I am saying that before you go for the extra and non-needed features for a game you should first hit up a quest system and stuff like that.
>
> I do not wish for any type of fame here at Eclipse. :p

*not just partially off-topic

Now I like you :) ( I hate noob games… no quests = trash )

-seal

> @jcsnider - Those are some really good ideas.

Thanks.

> @jcsnider - Something like that isnt hard.

Compliments for you if you thinks that it's so easy.
And compliments if you got it by yourself.

Really, I'm not kidding you.

Question: which type of suggestion are you giving?

When I read that thing I felt myself idiot - you seem to trivialize it. You aren't answerable to me, obviously. I wish to report you a simple thing. I'm not expert as many as you are. You have to have patience, and if you don't want to share anything about your work because you want to be paied.

Don't misunderstand me please.
I don't want to offend your intelligence or you.

I don't want to the code. I believe in a constructive exchange of opinions. I ask you: I shared what I thought, could you make the same please? Which was you approach with this work? From what did you start? Had you got a plan of development? Which one?

I will go ahead and put this out there now… I am doing Vb6 work in order to pet paid for me to turn around to hire a programmer in another language.
(This concept is really silly but my decisions are irrelevant to this topic.)

Basically what I plan to say by this is, once I get all the money I need, I will be more willing to donate my time to Eclipse.

I understand not wanting to code or for some not wanting to learn.

What you want, however, can take hours of time and most people just don't have hours of free time to make a pet system.

Now, in your previous post you gave many ideas. In my post I was just responding my own personal thoughts. I will try to phrase them better this time...

* I do not really like the guild idea just because of how it would limit the player in the game. I believe in a online game you should be able to do what you want and not be very restricted by your class or guild.(My Opinion)
* As for the pet attack pet on sight… I am saying in my opinion or from the pet system I have got working with eclipse it would not take too much time or be very tricky. It is also a GREAT idea. (My opinion)

These are only my ideas and personal opinions.

@jcsnider:

> I would have to run the code every now and then if pet is attacking then exit sub else, then do a for max_map_npcs check their targets, if their target is the player then set the pets target to npc (npcnum).

That is kinda how I was saying I would code the auto attack system.

Now, your latest post.

> I ask you: I shared what I thought, could you make the same please? Which was you approach with this work? From what did you start? Had you got a plan of development? Which one?

I really do not understand what you are asking here.

If you are still referring to the pet system I would answer these questions as.

* Yes, I could re-do it.
* I was asked to do a pet system and I made it for a user here for pay.
* I started by looking at the pet system of another engine that is unspeakable here but is now dead.
* I basically worked on porting that pet system to eclipse but had to make SEVERAL changes due to different ways the engines work.

I do not know what you mean by: Which one?

I am also, in no way, shape, or form trying to be offensive to anyone.