Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to change order that sprite parts are drawn?

Gohan

I need to edit the source code to change the way in which parts of a sprite are drawn. The custom character creation draws the hair, then body then legs. I need body, then legs, than hair. How do I do this?

If you don't understand the problem here is a pic of what the source code is doing.
![](http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/GohanX_Album/hairwrong.png)
I'm using Stable btw

@Prince:

> Dude im no GFX designer but I found some flaws:
> 1:unless he's meant to be as skinny as stick man,he is way too thin.
> 2: As far as I'm concerned,every sprite has a neck.
> :rolleyes:

Well first, this thread has nothing to do with how good my sprite looks(well I guess it does have a little bit to do with it, but not in that way), this is a forum for asking for help. Second I didn't draw this it came from an online chara generator.

Really if you're just going to criticize art that isn't even draw by me don't bother posting.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope I'm not breaking the limit here, don't wanna necro(the limit is a month on most forums right?)

I have it mostly alligned but the hair is uhh… I don't know how to put it. Just look.

![](http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/GohanX_Album/hairwrong.png)

Okay so how do I fix that?

@Admiral:

> I feel your pain Gohan; I deal with this very same problem.
> You need to modify the source code (the part where it draws the head, body, legs) and change some things around.
> The problem is, it's drawing the head (or hair) first, then the body, then the legs.
> So the hair is on the bottom.

Okay so how do I change it? I don't know how to edit the source code.

@Gohan:

> @Admiral:
>
> > I feel your pain Gohan; I deal with this very same problem.
> > You need to modify the source code (the part where it draws the head, body, legs) and change some things around.
> > The problem is, it's drawing the head (or hair) first, then the body, then the legs.
> > So the hair is on the bottom.
>
> Okay so how do I change it? I don't know how to edit the source code.

I can move this to the source questions, just edit your topic with your recent problem.

I think I found the bit of code I'm looking for, but not sure. I found this thread:
http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,46142.0.html

Then after reading it I looked in the file mentioned in that thread. I found this:
```
If CustomPlayers <> 0 Then
                    frmNewChar.HScroll1.Visible = True
                    frmNewChar.HScroll2.Visible = True
                    frmNewChar.HScroll3.Visible = True
                End If
```Is that what I'm looking for? If so how do I change it to do what I need it to do? I'd have followed the directions in the thread I found but the codes are… different. I think he's talking about a different Eclipse version.

@Gohan:

> I think I found the bit of code I'm looking for, but not sure. I found this thread:
> http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,46142.0.html
>
> Then after reading it I looked in the file mentioned in that thread. I found this:
> ```
> If CustomPlayers <> 0 Then
>                     frmNewChar.HScroll1.Visible = True
>                     frmNewChar.HScroll2.Visible = True
>                     frmNewChar.HScroll3.Visible = True
>                 End If
> ```Is that what I'm looking for? If so how do I change it to do what I need it to do? I'd have followed the directions in the thread I found but the codes are… different. I think he's talking about a different Eclipse version.

No, I can show you what you need to change exactly, all you have to do is find it and switch it around:

Search your _Project_ for "Sub BltPLayer"
Then search your _Procedure_ lfor "32 x 32 Sprites"

Scroll down till you see THIS:

Your Code:
```
rec.top = Player(index).head * PIC_Y
rec.Bottom = rec.top + PIC_Y
Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_head, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
rec.top = Player(index).body * PIC_Y
Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_body, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
rec.top = Player(index).leg * PIC_Y
Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_legs, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)

```
ALL you need to do is switch the head one around and put it at bottom (you can even just paste this over if you wanted:

New Code:
```
rec.top = Player(index).body * PIC_Y
Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_body, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
rec.top = Player(index).leg * PIC_Y
Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_legs, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
rec.top = Player(index).head * PIC_Y
Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_head, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)

```
There will be a few of these that look exactly the same, in the proceedure, make sure to change them all. I think there's 3.

@Admiral:

> I feel your pain Gohan; I deal with this very same problem.
> You need to modify the source code (the part where it draws the head, body, legs) and change some things around.
> The problem is, it's drawing the head (or hair) first, then the body, then the legs.
> So the hair is on the bottom.

I've posted in the ES Download thread about 4 times about getting it fixed but it never seems to. T_T but most of those replies have been erased by now.

@varinyc:

> @Gohan:
>
> > I think I found the bit of code I'm looking for, but not sure. I found this thread:
> > http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,46142.0.html
> >
> > Then after reading it I looked in the file mentioned in that thread. I found this:
> > ```
> > If CustomPlayers <> 0 Then
> >                     frmNewChar.HScroll1.Visible = True
> >                     frmNewChar.HScroll2.Visible = True
> >                     frmNewChar.HScroll3.Visible = True
> >                 End If
> > ```Is that what I'm looking for? If so how do I change it to do what I need it to do? I'd have followed the directions in the thread I found but the codes are… different. I think he's talking about a different Eclipse version.
>
> No, I can show you what you need to change exactly, all you have to do is find it and switch it around:
>
> Search your _Project_ for "Sub BltPLayer"
> Then search your _Procedure_ lfor "32 x 32 Sprites"
>
> Scroll down till you see THIS:
>
> Your Code:
> ```
> rec.top = Player(index).head * PIC_Y
> rec.Bottom = rec.top + PIC_Y
> Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_head, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
> rec.top = Player(index).body * PIC_Y
> Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_body, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
> rec.top = Player(index).leg * PIC_Y
> Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_legs, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
>
> ```
> ALL you need to do is switch the head one around and put it at bottom (you can even just paste this over if you wanted:
>
> New Code:
> ```
> rec.top = Player(index).body * PIC_Y
> Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_body, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
> rec.top = Player(index).leg * PIC_Y
> Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_legs, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
> rec.top = Player(index).head * PIC_Y
> Call DD_BackBuffer.BltFast(X, Y, DD_player_head, rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)
>
> ```
> There will be a few of these that look exactly the same, in the proceedure, make sure to change them all. I think there's 3.
>
> @Admiral:
>
> > I feel your pain Gohan; I deal with this very same problem.
> > You need to modify the source code (the part where it draws the head, body, legs) and change some things around.
> > The problem is, it's drawing the head (or hair) first, then the body, then the legs.
> > So the hair is on the bottom.
>
> I've posted in the ES Download thread about 4 times about getting it fixed but it never seems to. T_T but most of those replies have been erased by now.

What directory can I fins that file in?

@Gohan:

> There are 3 codes exactly like that in the same file X_X Should I rearrange all three?
>
> EDIT: I went ahead and rearranged all three and it's still broken!!! :O :angry:

Well, from your other thread, it seems like you don't have VB6\. X__x I don't know where you'd be finding your 3 codes. You will need VB6 to do what I stated above with.

Yeah the files can be opened in Notepad actually. I have a understanding of source now(well, basic). It didn't work cuz Notepad can't make exe's. I got vb6 and my cutonm chars are fixed :)