Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Games Are Not Entertaining Anymore?

andylee

Ok it seems those disagreeing have not played KoF enough to know that unless you are familiar with the stories or at least the teams my pov is not going to make any sense as such Im withdrawing from this tangent of the debate ^_^.

btw Anna, Ryu had a secret hadoken which was a result of his more disciplined training it was not shown in his move list. Then there was the Guile Handcuffs and many more hidden gems across the series but enough-

Klonoa, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy 2, De Blob, Nights... This is just on the Wii, what makes you think they are vanishing :-\ ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Azure:

> So to change topics, Why do you think platforming games vanished?

They haven't. Most flash games are platformers, and a lot of 3d adventure games are essentially platformers (Drake's or whatever, Tomb Raider, etc.). Also I'd consider those LEGO franchise games to be platformers. So they are still around in general, and platforming roots are in other genres as well.

What makes a good platformer good are a few key things: smooth controls, good visual design (to see interactive objects properly and not blur with the background), and good pacing. Often these things are useful in other genres as well.

Oh yeah LittleBigPlanet is totally a platformer, and I really liked it (I'm considering if I get a console system, the PS3 might be my choice because of that game). I think platforming might start making a comeback – if you consider flash games and other "casuals" then you could consider platforming games alive and well.

@silentdemonic:

> btw Anna, Ryu had a secret hadoken which was a result of his more disciplined training it was not shown in his move list. Then there was the Guile Handcuffs and many more hidden gems across the series but enough-

Yeah and in most fighting games each character has a unique move. It doesn't make the backstory any more pertinent to the gameplay. I'm not saying backstory is a bad thing in Fighting games, I think it's very good in any game because it gives players something extra; like stories and character revelations that can make you understand the move or styles of the characters (which improves your gameplay). But it isn't functionally important for the games, even when special moves or rivalries are involved; this is necessary for balancing purposes. Balancing is more important as far as gameplay for Fighting games (if you have an unbalanced game it doesn't matter how deep the characters and setting is, it won't play well).

(edited to fix run-on sentence)

I hadn't considered the causal game factor Anna. Do you see it becoming a main stream game genre again, or will it live on as an aspect of other genres? Could it be assumed that it has become the casual game in essence? I guess I should start another debate since this kind of deviates from the main subject.

there are tons of new platform games out.
LittleBig Planet, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Megaman 10, Prince of Persia: the Forgotten Sands, Legend of Zelda games(This is a action platformer, not a Action RPG)

Platformers haven't died, they are still going strong and are still some of the best games out there.

handcuff's, and other hidden moves were actually just bugs. There was dalsim's vanishing and some others that i cant remember off the top of my head. These were removed in later revisions of the games…. and i'm not talking about street fighter 2 -> street fighter 2 champion edition.

I have an actual street fighter 2 arcade game, and I have a revision that does not have hand cuffs or dalsim's vanish. But it does have guile's filp freeze.

I also have EVERY street fighter arcade in mame which does have them.

I have to agree with the others, story in fighting games is not as big of a deal as in other games. I think the story's are more of an after thought. Especially if you go back to the roots. it might be different now with today's fighting games having more of an actual story. but when street fighter 2 came out, the only story you got was the little tiny snippet at the end of the game for each character. All you know is chun li revenges her father's death, and can now live out her life as a young girl. Guile can go back to his family.... and so on. Nothing says anything about their playing style, or how they got in that situation... The closest thing that you can come to with any pre story of how things got the way they are, is with sagat. He was the end guy in street fighter, and when ryu wins he gives sagat the scar on his chest. How sagat became a henchmen.... who knows... maybe because m. bison found him in the streets after his loss....?

Well Ryu's Flame hadoken was not a bug it was achieved by rolling from back to forward and heavy punch - allow it - not gonna dispute a game Ive played since I was a kid lol note : Sagat became a henchman because of Bisons promise of power and his insatiable lust for revenge which consumed him the scar being the long lasting reminder of that
Special note : There is a street fighter that predates them all in which it was a side scroller if we are going for history which was the first game I completed.

In later games it became a move. Street fighter ii turbo, hyper and so on…. The standard street fighter it's a glitch. I own the original...

I was talking about the side scroller.. Ryu gives sagar the scar with his dragon punch at the end.

@silentdemonic:

> Well Ryu's Flame hadoken was not a bug it was achieved by rolling from back to forward and heavy punch - allow it - not gonna dispute a game Ive played since I was a kid lol note : Sagat became a henchman because of Bisons promise of power and his insatiable lust for revenge which consumed him the scar being the long lasting reminder of that
> Special note : There is a street fighter that predates them all in which it was a side scroller if we are going for history which was the first game I completed.

Nobody cares, Street Fighter was a horrible game and I don't know how Capcom got the go-ahead to make a sequel to it (but it was good that they did because SF2 is a very good game).

@Gwen: Oh I got to level 50 but I couldn't finish it (spent maybe 10 minutes on it).

• 2 months later...
@Anna:

> @RPGfreak:
>
> > because you like masturbating too much, and u need to get out more.
>
> :huh:

i was half joking, but really, to the person who doesnt find any games entertaining anymore probably spends too much time droning in front of the tv or computer or whatever, and just needs to take a nice long break. cuz it sounds like boredom to me.  :P

Amusingly Ive installed Diablo2 resently and found that somehow  it gamplay still rules the same like 10 years before! And thats after tons of chars made and stuff seen.  To compare, for example I found Titan Quest totally unplayable for me, didnt know why, but there was no interest to play it… And another example - Torchlght , interesting thing from someone from diablo makers team. Its 3d with diablo randomize system, nice atmosphear, new fun features and all, but it still hasnt that original gamplay...

And about graphics, it doesnt affect fun aspect. It is needed to make your brain believe the game content and begin to produse the game experience by itself. And also to attract players to try a game of course.

So I believe in game disigners telent (or lack of it).