Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stable is lagging?

Valon328

I don't know how to fix this but I'm using ES (Eclipse Stable) and I'm lagging A LOT on this certain map! I don't know why, I even have less things than the other map but I lag like heck! Does anyone know a fix for this?

@Ballie:

> Let me guess - it's night time in-game?
>
> There are issues with how Eclipse handles blitting the night tiles, so it's very slow.

ooh but the other places aren't lagging :( but if possible, how do I turn off the night and day thing?

@Vålöñシ:

> @Ballie:
>
> > Let me guess - it's night time in-game?
> >
> > There are issues with how Eclipse handles blitting the night tiles, so it's very slow.
>
> ooh but the other places aren't lagging :( but if possible, how do I turn off the night and day thing?

Just set your map to indoors

@Kinjiru:

> @Vålöñシ:
>
> > @Ballie:
> >
> > > Let me guess - it's night time in-game?
> > >
> > > There are issues with how Eclipse handles blitting the night tiles, so it's very slow.
> >
> > ooh but the other places aren't lagging :( but if possible, how do I turn off the night and day thing?
>
> Just set your map to indoors

cool thanks! :D Saved me a bunch! =D

My personal opinion is to just remove it. It's buggy and slow, so "nothing" seems like a good enough replacement. The whole time system client side isn't even really necessary. The only thing a clock comes in handy for is server events and such.

@silentdemonic:

> Im on about for games which rely on the night and day cycle - so it is related.
>
> EDIT : Ah just remembered we have source - Ill pop it back in if thats the case xD

It's not the cycle which causes the lag, it's the horrible night-time rendering.

When I did a DD7 night system I pre-rendered the tilesets to be darker. You'd have two of each tileset, one dark and one normal. When it was night time the entire game would be rendered using the night time tilesets.

If you are handling the memory correctly you shouldnt have big increases
- Ive not looked into a great deal but I was thinking to adjust the contrast. I mean they do it in Console games and the same problem of people turning up their TV Brightness to compensate isnt circumvented, so if a player truly wants to do that - let them.
EDIT : Sorry for the double post, something went funky

@Robin:

> It's not the cycle which causes the lag, it's the horrible night-time rendering.
>
> When I did a DD7 night system I pre-rendered the tilesets to be darker. You'd have two of each tileset, one dark and one normal. When it was night time the entire game would be rendered using the night time tilesets.

I was actually considering doing something like that.

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=61179.msg645790#msg645790 date=1275864027]
> hmm… tahst actually not a bad idea... BUT
>
> wont that increase memory usage? eclipse does load all bmp's when it starts up.
>
> or you used that system where it releases any stuff its not using I guess?
>
> Damian666

It won't increase memory usage if done correctly. However, since Eclipse does load everything into memory to start, then at night time, there will likely be some lag as you'd have to dump the old tilesets from memory and load up the new ones. A system like Origins has would really be handy for doing a night system.

@silentdemonic:

> If you are handling the memory correctly you shouldnt have big increases

That's the thing. We aren't. xD

If you did it in Origins the memory level wouldn't change at all. It only loads graphics it's using and unloads any graphics which aren't used for 10 seconds.

That's why the memory usage of Origins is usually around the 10mB mark, rather than the 100-200mB of usage Stable has.

whoa this topic got long XD I made my maps indoors and disabled the time, would this help?

P.S: Oh yeah I also saw someone say something about the time: I've also noticed that the time continues and discontinues when you turn on and off the server, right? @)@