Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Client does not work on Windows 7 after compiling

silentdemonic

I normally wall of text - so Ill try to be brief lol.

I run Virtual Box its like VMWare which allows me to run Windows XP Applications from within my Windows 7 setup.
Problem is, I use Visual Basic Enterprise and compile the Client Source code and the resulting client.exe then no longer executes on the Windows 7 setup despite the original shipped client.exe working fine.
So could anyone give me some pointers as to what is up?
The error message I get is :
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you computer system infromation to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
So Im assuming that its the way I compiled it - is there some special setup I should have presetup?

Thanks in advance.

@silentdemonic:

> Visual Basic 6 Doesnt run on Windows 7 64 Bit.

Running with admin+windows xp SP2 compatibility mode, VB6 studio as well as the eclipse server and client run perfectly fine on my W7-64Bit computer. In other words, what you have said is incorrect.

TimeBomb - you clearly do not have that setup. If you do then dear lord you just saved the entire Internet full of people who have tried to do an Installation of Visual Basic 6 Enterprise on a Windows 7 64bit Machine. How about you read what I wrote before you type? I said after compiling it no longer works and I also said I have to run Visual Basic 6 in Virtual Box (XP install) for the above reason.

@silentdemonic:

> TimeBomb - you clearly do not have that setup. If you do then dear lord you just saved the entire Internet full of people who have tried to do an Installation of Visual Basic 6 Enterprise on a Windows 7 64bit Machine. How about you read what I wrote before you type? I said after compiling it no longer works and I also said I have to run Visual Basic 6 in Virtual Box (XP install) for the above reason.

You are correct about one thing, I did not bother to read the original topic.

First of all, the most likely cause of the problem stated in the original post is either a bad version of vb6 or the fact that you are compiling in a VM.

Oh, and
![](http://i46.tinypic.com/53ag6g.png)

What good is that picture?
I said "You clearly do not have that setup" in other words you have not tested it you are just going by opinion and theory. Once again please read the post before replying. You just took up thread space with an unrelated image :-\
A bad version of VB6? :-\ do you even know what you are saying? As for the Virtual Machine it operates in the exact same way as if it was Windows XP. The source compiles fine, however executing the client shows that message whereas the one that comes with Eclipse does not.

Also can you show me the Eclipse Source loaded up and compiling on Windows 7 64Bit that is of course unless its portable VB you SS'd

@silentdemonic:

I have it up and running properly on my installation, and I'm fairly certain it's Win7 64 bit, along with VB6 here. It's fairly easy to install, run it as it should normally.. Then it errors after the reboot, and run ACMBOOT.exe manually, enter some info and tadaa it works as it should.

I would like to publically apologise to TimeBomb for prooving me wrong and that let this be proof that a tired mind can become a dangerous thing. I shall be off to bed to rest my head and have clearer thoughts for the 'morrow.
In short - The same installation which was not working a while back is now working :-\ go figure.

@silentdemonic:

I have it running without any compatibility mode. I have been running it since Win7 RCx64
and business and windows 7 ultimate, never had any issues whatsoever running it or registering
libraries.

The only thing that pisses me off about the VB6 installation on any OS you are running, is that it wants to search every bloody hard drive you have for a previous installation and if you have 3+terabytes.. its a bit of a wait..

but compatibility issues, ive had zero.

@Robin:

> I've been using VB6 on Win7 64-bit for ages.

Same here. The computer I'm using now has Windows 7 64-bit. I can also run Visual Basic 6 perfectly fine on my Windows 7 32-bit computer.

All you really have to do is download and run the 64-bit library files here: http://eclipse-mmorpgmaker.googlecode.com/files/Eclipse%20Library%20Installer%20x86-64.exe

After that, make sure you have the UAC disabled, and then run Visual Basic 6 as an administrator when you first open it up. You won't have to run it as an administrator again after that. That's all I did, and it's been running fine for me for a pretty long time.

@Robin:

> I've never had to run the 64-bit installer.
>
> I simply ran the 32-bit in compatibility mode.

I didnt even need to do that mate, not sure why.. ran the 32 bit installer in 64bit Win7 without using any compatibility mode, as per usual just installs to the x86 folder instead and runs fine - it didnt even give me the message that I was using in incompatible operating system which I fully expected, so yeah wierd.

@(G2D)Devogen:

> I didnt even need to do that mate, not sure why.. ran the 32 bit installer in 64bit Win7 without using any compatibility mode, as per usual just installs to the x86 folder instead and runs fine - it didnt even give me the message that I was using in incompatible operating system which I fully expected, so yeah wierd.

I never tried without doing it. When I know something is 32-bit I just automatically run in compatibility.

I did notice something odd, if you have "Enable Desktop Composition" selected from "System Properties - Advanced -  Performance-> Settings" then when you are dragging and moving things around it will have a weird redraw effect with the dotted outline of said object. I do not know if there is another method for fixing this but yeah - disabling that sorted it out for me. I know you can do it on a per program basis but I just disabled it all together.

EDIT : Forgot to mention that the odd redraw only happened in Visual Basic, didnt notice it in anything else.