Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finding Ip's

SmackAHobo

Hey guys,
I've been searching the net and i'm having a difficult time finding an answer to my question.
I'm trying to get the Ip's of all computers on my network through CMD and I can't figure out the commands for it. There are quite a few computers (120) aswell so i'd like to have all there Ip's automatically put into a txt file. Is this possible through CMD?

If not, how would you do this in VB6?

most likely your network is on dhcp which gives out ip leases so they change every so often. so having a list wouldnt do much good.

If you network admin wont like what you are doing, then why are you risking getting caught installing games. If your IT person is competent I'm sure they will find you.

You could try to ping every ip in your network range.

@SmackAHobo:

> As I said, there are quite a few computers on the network and I really don't want to ping everyone of them. Does anyone know a command that can do this automatically or maybe some VB code that can do it?

There isn't any. Only your router, switch or hub knows what computers are connected, and it only knows that when they're active. So the only way is pinging really.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Stephan:

> @SmackAHobo:
>
> > As I said, there are quite a few computers on the network and I really don't want to ping everyone of them. Does anyone know a command that can do this automatically or maybe some VB code that can do it?
>
> There isn't any. Only your router, switch or hub knows what computers are connected, and it only knows that when they're active. So the only way is pinging really.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

Do a ping loop as Stephan said.

I.e. (not VB I know, it's C#, but w/e.)
```
for (int h = 0; h <= 255; h++)
{
for (int f = 0; f <= 255; f++)
{
// Ping code for 192.168.h.f
}
}
```
That is something you could try.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.networkinformation.ping.aspx

Thanks,
Aero/EBrown

If I use the "net view" command it gives me all the computers on the network. Is there no way to take all those names, export them to a txt file and then have VB ping each one automatically? I should add that not all the computers have the same IP's, eg they're not all 192.168.1.0, some have IP's like 10.34.8.xx ect.

@SmackAHobo:

> If I use the "net view" command it gives me all the computers on the network. Is there no way to take all those names, export them to a txt file and then have VB ping each one automatically? I should add that not all the computers have the same IP's, eg they're not all 192.168.1.0, some have IP's like 10.34.8.xx ect.

You can modify all my stuff as needed.

You should look into StreamWriter. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.streamwriter.aspx)

Thanks,
Aero/EBrown

@SmackAHobo:

> @Aero/EBrown:
>
> > You can modify all my stuff as needed.
>
> Thanks, but what stuff is that exactly?
> Also writing stuff to a txt file is no worries, its actually just doing all the cmd stuff through vb thats the problem.

The loop I wrote. Though there are different ways to do it.

What I would do, is find all the generic (I.e. x.x.*.*, where we find the x's) manually, and write a loop to adapt to that, and check if the computer responds. If it responds, write the IP to the text file.

I don't know any other ways to do it. Except with a program accepting connections to add them to the file.

Thanks,
Aero/EBrown

Ok i've got somethings working at the moment, just wondering how you get text from command prompt? The commands work, but I want to print the data too a text box on the screen.
Here's the code:
Dim sYourCommand As String
'sYourCommand = "\\networkfolder\project\testfile.txt"
Shell("cmd /c " & "IpConfig")

@SmackAHobo:

> Ok I've got somethings working at the moment, just wondering how you get text from command prompt? The commands work, but I want to print the data too a text box on the screen.
> Here's the code:
> Dim sYourCommand As String
> 'sYourCommand = "\\networkfolder\project\testfile.txt"
> Shell("cmd /c " & "IpConfig")

Why not store the shell in a variable?

```
Dim shellResults As String
shellResults = Shell("cmd /c " & "IpConfig")
textBox.Text += shellResults
```
Thanks,
Aero/EBrown

@SmackAHobo:

> Actually, when I responded in the last post I hadn't tested it. Now that I've tested it….... it doesn't work. Whats wrong with it?

I am not a genius at VB.NET, so there could be some syntax error I forgot.

```
Dim shellResults As String
shellResults = Shell("cmd /c " & "IpConfig")
textBox.Text += shellResults
```
You'll need to replace```
textBox.Text
```with your text box, or rich text box.

Thanks,
Aero/EBrown

here run this in command depending on which ip range you are using.

FOR /L %A IN (1,1,255) DO ping -n 1 192.168.0.%A >> test0.txt
FOR /L %A IN (1,1,255) DO ping -n 1 192.168.1.%A >> test1.txt
FOR /L %A IN (1,1,255) DO ping -n 1 10.100.1.%A >> test10.txt

This will ping every ip from .1 to .255 in that range and put it in a txt file.
I dont really do batch programing so I dont know how to do an if to only display replies.
You will get a text file in whatever directory you run this command with the following results in it so you will need to do your own regular expressions to get the lines with reply….

Pinging 10.100.1.107 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.100.1.107:
    Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),

Pinging 10.100.1.108 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.100.1.108: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.100.1.108:
    Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms