Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gameboy batteries

Xavi

Recently, my copy of Pokemon Gold quit saving. I'm guessing that it's because it's battery died, and apparently all I can do is get a new one. Well, it got me to thinking. ~~What happens when all the copies have dead batteries? It'll happen eventually, won't it? Sure, there will be emulators and stuff, but won't it be a shame when we can't save on our beloved gameboys? Could this happen?~~

Edit: Never mind, they can be replaced. Here's a link that Robin posted on how to fix it in case anyone is interested.

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464

New technology is fantastic. No longer will our progress and scores depend on the life of a single watch battery!

@Kusy:

> Inside the gameboy geniuss.

No… it's in the cartridge. xD

Here's a tutorial on how to replace dead batteries in game cartridges.

[http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464](http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464)

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about the batteries in the Gameboy, I was talking about the batteries in the games.
Yes, there's a battery!!!!! It keeps part of the game running so that the data isn't lost. It's like if your computer stored all it's files on RAM. If you turned off your computer, the info would be gone, right? That's how I understand it.
@Kusy:

> You realise that you CAN change the battery in a gameboy? They use those flat bateries some clocks use.

Can you? I opened it up and the battery was sautered (or however you spell that) in. I assumed you couldn't replace it.

@Robin:

> @Xavi:
>
> > Can you? I opened it up and the battery was sautered (or however you spell that) in. I assumed you couldn't replace it.
>
> Read the guide I posted.

Thank you, Robin. That will help me quite a bit.

@Kevin49:

> Ahh…
> So thats why my Pokemon data and other old games suddenly disappear.
> Thanks ! <3

Yep! That is probably why. Quite an annoyance, I must say. I found out that we have a sauntering (or however you spell that) iron in our house, so I might (gasp) actually do this.

@Kevin49:

> Wait, changing the batterie means that what ever we do the game data will be cleared? The operation would be interesting if we still play the games afterwards :s

You bet. Even a mere second where the game doesn't have a good battery in it will clear the memory. Quite a shame, aye?

@Robin:

> @Kevin49:
>
> > Wait, changing the batterie means that what ever we do the game data will be cleared?
>
> Obviously. They wouldn't call it battery-backed memory if it didn't require a battery. xD

Well maybe if you found a way to replace the batteries while the game is powered by the gameboy? I'd be impressed if you did.

@Xavi:

> Well maybe if you found a way to replace the batteries while the game is powered by the gameboy? I'd be impressed if you did.

… you're suggesting we take off the cover of the game and unsolder a battery from the cartridge _whilst it's running and powered up?_