Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So you wanna be a game dev?

deathtaker26

**Introduction**

This is a little introduction to game development for new, up and coming developers! In this I'd like to hand out some awesome advice and some tips on how to keep your games, codes, ideas, and whatever nice, neat and organized!

I just wanna kick this off by saying, the number one thing that will help you become a better developer in general is finding techniques that not only make your life as a developer easier, but may also help out anyone reading your code. That being said I think code and project organization is the number one tool is game development.

**Your projects and your team.**

So, you just joined eclipse and you have this project that people are going to think is the most EPIC GAME IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! Well, slow down. I don't mean to burst your bubble here, but getting others to like your idea isn't all  that easy. Before you go posting stuff and asking people to join a team and help you, you need to show the community that you are willing to put time and effort into this. 90% of the projects here on eclipse or in game design in general really don't get finished. That being said, it's kind of discouraging to people. So I'm your everyday eclipsian and I just saw your post that you're recruiting members for a team to make a game. Well, In my mind, I don't think you're going to finish your project. You might think you will, but chances are you won't. So recruiting a team right off the bat is a BAD idea. you need to show others that your game not only has work already done, but it also has potential to expand.

Wait? What do you mean potential?

I mean your game needs be started and it's ready to get better, that you and your game have the thought in your head that it can and will get better and be finished. This is the most important thing to getting a team. I don't wanna discourage you from trying, but I'll tell you now, chance are going to be that you will most likely be soloing a game.

**Advice for Coding**

**A**s stated above, organization is VERY important in game design. ESPECIALLY if you're going to be creating an open source application. Why? Because people have to be able to read your what you're doing. ALWAYS document changes that you make to your code in an update log or a readme file. This way you know what you previously changed if something stopped working. This will help you save time by being able to quickly identify your mistakes in the event of an error/bug.

Another huge thing is don't try to shove everything into one src folder, branch your code off into namespaces and sub-folders. this will keep your code clean for use. For example,. I have a game object called Weapon. Well Weapon is a class and that class should be stored in a folder under the namespace Engine.Objects.Weapon and the class should be in a folder called Engine/Objects/Weapon.cs. It's called Object Orientation, don't shove your entire game into one little class. Learn about OOP (Object Orientated Programming) It's not THAT hard and it will help you GREATLY in the future.

**Plan for the audience**

Remember, if you're coding opensource, or even coding a game or project, KEEP THE AUDIENCE IN MIND. By that I mean, the people who will be using your software or code. They need documentation if it's opensource code, so they can easily understand what they're doing. I can't tell you how much I HATE finding an awesome library with very little documentation. I usually end up writing my own library in that event. If you're writing a game or project, be sure that your interface, commands, and well practically everything is easy and upfront that players don't have to fiddle around with stuff for an hour trying to figure out how to use your program or game.

**Have fun and be Unique**

Remember, there are hundreds of eclipse projects out there, try to do something unique. What makes your game stand out? Also, try not to get so bound up and frustrated with what you're doing. That causes discouragement and often leads to dropping the project. Take breaks here and there and have fun with what you do!

> my tip is that if u want 2 bcome 1 game developer u need 2 learn programming
>
> go 2 [http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#toc_1](http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#toc_1), buy 1 book or look 4 resources urself

I'm sorry, but that is the DUMBEST thing I have heard all week. You don't need to program if you have a good engine or want a simple game, or even have a friend who is a programmer, you just have to be content and patient.

Programming is for PROGRAMMERS. Devs don't have to program to make or maintain a game.

hi mohenjo daro i understand ur point. obv if u want 2 make a simple game u can use an engine with a powerful editor like game maker, but even the most powerful visual editing systems, like unreal engines kismet or bukkits variabletriggers wont let u implement everything u want 4 ur game. they r interfaces 2 programming, which is just like learning 2 speak without learning 2 write, c?

obv if ur 1 artist ur 1 step ahead 2 create games, id very like 2 b able 2 make my own assets but i dont have the patience to practice

also dont start an argument ad hominem

> hi mohenjo daro i understand ur point. obv if u want 2 make a simple game u can use an engine with a powerful editor like game maker, but even the most powerful visual editing systems, like unreal engines kismet or bukkits variabletriggers wont let u implement everything u want 4 ur game. they r interfaces 2 programming, which is just like learning 2 speak without learning 2 write, c?
>
>  
>
> obv if ur 1 artist ur 1 step ahead 2 create games, id very like 2 b able 2 make my own assets but i dont have the patience to practice
>
>  
>
> also dont start an argument ad hominem

Coder, if you have forgotten, you learned to speak before writing and there are a lot of people who can speak and not write and even cultures that have no written language.

And by the way, I'm not the best coder, but I have friends who are and I am a mapper and overall Dev, I don't claim to be a programmer and I have not needed one to make a game, they are nice to have to add in cool unique features in your game but are not needed. Henrik is not a programmer but he started a pretty good game by the looks of it.

All in all, you don't need to be a programmer at ALL, just content, dedicated, and patient.

(And use better grammar already)

> hi mohenjo daro i understand ur point. obv if u want 2 make a simple game u can use an engine with a powerful editor like game maker, but even the most powerful visual editing systems, like unreal engines kismet or bukkits variabletriggers wont let u implement everything u want 4 ur game. they r interfaces 2 programming, which is just like learning 2 speak without learning 2 write, c?
>
>  
>
> obv if ur 1 artist ur 1 step ahead 2 create games, id very like 2 b able 2 make my own assets but i dont have the patience to practice
>
>  
>

Can someone translate this? Google Translate can't seem to recognize it and none of the languages work. :(

> Coder, if you have forgotten, you learned to speak before writing and there are a lot of people who can speak and not write and even cultures that have no written language.

this is pushing the metaphor 2 far. the majority of these people dont use computers

> And by the way, I'm not the best coder, but I have friends who are

i never talked about u specifically. u cant use friendship as a reliable mean of having work done. u could do all the things in ur game done by friends and u take credit from using those friendships value and mixing them together, if u have enough friends. yes u can pay people 2 do stuff in whatever currency, but it costs u more than doing it urself

> i never talked about u specifically. u cant use friendship as a reliable mean of having work done. u could do all the things in ur game done by friends and u take credit from using those friendships value and mixing them together, if u have enough friends. yes u can pay people 2 do stuff in whatever currency, but it costs u more than doing it urself

I don't use them as a reliable source, I am only saying that you don't need to be a programmer, that's just a bonus if you are. Devs don't need to program a game if they have a good engine. 4.0, Eclipse Renewal, and Eclipse Worlds are all great means for devs to make a game without need to program crap in. If you have a stable and well equipt engine then why on Earth do you need to know how to program?

And Coder, start to type your words our, don't go around speaking lik hw u… Damn, I can't do it, just stop though, use STANDARD English, not something you text your friends.

>
>  
>
>
>  
>

This is why we can't have nice things.

Sorry to break your moment Mohenjo Daro..

I can't agree with your point. It's not that there is only one type of Developers.

You are currently pointing about the people/players/staff who are a **In-Game Content/World Developer**, Those are the people who develop the game in-game like creating items/spell/maps etc., But there are those **Game Engine Developer,** Those are the people who develop the game engine itself.

**Programmers **is just what people call other people who know how to **Program **using any programming language they know. But once they begin programming an engine or a application, They undergo developing that engine itself..

EDIT:

PS: I also doesn't agree with xx procoder xx, You don't have to learn programming to become  a game developer, What's EO 4 for if you need to learn programming?

> Sorry, I'm just annoyed that he thinks you have to know how to program to be a dev…

I understand, it's cool but I'm not opening informative posts to argue. But I am going to say this.

ProCoder, I will admit you're pretty good at what you do. You have a talent for programming, however, you're very arrogant and as far as I can see immature. I'm not trying to crush on you as I think you could go very far in programming with some improvements. You really need to take in constructive criticism and kinda get up a more professional status. Being a professional software engineer or game developer at that is more than just being able to code better than most. It's also about professionalism, which you seem to lack. Professionalism means you need to be professional, it's an act, it's not a game. You need to learn to write properly, present yourself, and not act like you're high and mighty among other people. Arrogance is a very negative thing to adapt to, and you seem to have adapted to the idea that, "Hey I can code, I'm automatically better than everyone else here." I can tell you, however, that some (not most, not all, but some) people here actually have professionalism to what they do and that makes them a lot better at what they do because they do it in a presentable way.

Pretend eclipsians are your clients, use us to practice your professionalism. You want to present us your skill, not rub it in the faces. Would you rather have someone pay for your skill, or say "ha ha, I can do this and you can't", if you chose the latter, you're not a software engineer, because that's not what programming is about. As a developer your job should be to innovate and accomplish heights that actually benefit others, THAT is what coding is about, NOT being better than others.