Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Runtime Files get installed to where?

Tic Tac 2

When you run the runtime installers, what does the installer do with the runtime files(ocx, dlls etc) Do they get registered? In that case, where do they get registered to?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?

Or does the engine just run the runtime files directly from the game folder? I'm using Eclipse Worlds btw.

The runtimes use a fail safe method. If you have the files already registered it does not replace them. If it does it, it simply adds them to a new folder in your Windows folder. I honestly do not know if there is a registry key linking them, but it most likely does. Although, it isn't that big of an issue since you can uninstall and then it will remove those entries anyway.

> So if i use Inno Setup and make my installer install the runtime files to c:/windows/system32 or wherever, will my game successfully run for people?

You need to ship your game as an installed package if you want to be professional. Otherwise, people will have to download binaries and use a runtimes installer. The path you install it does not matter, but I advice you do not install it in your system32\. All the installer puts there is the uninstall .EXE.