Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Engine Questionair

deathtaker26

Alright so as I was working on Juiced I heard some thumbs ups and thumbs down, You guys are my target audience and I wanna know what you want.

Here's a couple of questions just answer them in a reply, I will note these things as I continue the development of OpenGypsy (It's really Juiced, I just renamed it)

Questions

Would you like to see a Sidescroll RPG engine (Games such as Maple story and Elsword) Or a regular RPG engine like eclipse?

If you voted for a regular RPG engine, would you prefer tile movement or free movement?

How would you like to see this engine built? Web based, or desktop software? (HTML5/JS or C#.Net)

What are some awesome features you would like to see in this engine?

What are some features that were in Eclipse Origins that you'd like to see in OpenGypsy?

What are some features about EO that you would rather NOT see in OpenGypsy?

–--------------------A notice---------------

The engine I am writing will be open sourced, however to profit off of it, we will NOT be allowing the resale of server hosting. Meaning you can self host a server, but you may not sell hosting to other members. The only people licensed for server resale will be me and a selected group, that group will be given a license.

Well I think my awnser would have to be, a side scroller. Reasons, I think eclipse could use a new side scroller or a newer one if there wasn't one already and I didn't see it ( I didn't look either sorry). I'll just say, I don't like side scrollers but I've noticed a high demand for those games latly. Just may be a fun way to help alleviate the problem slightly and deal with bordness if thats a problem you may have lmao well what ever you pick good luck…

• 3 months later...
Would you like to see a Sidescroll RPG engine (Games such as Maple story and Elsword) Or a regular RPG engine like eclipse?

couldnt your engine be both top-down and side scroller? if you made it topdown and automatically loaded ajacent maps off the screen.. well thats pretty close to a side scroller already.

tiles could be the same and sprites would just look different but on the logic side of things if you wanted a side scroller just put a bunch of maps together left to right and add code to pull you to the bottom of the screen unless you push the jump key.

If you voted for a regular RPG engine, would you prefer tile movement or free movement?

Tiled movement for so many reasons being able to make tile types such as blocked makes mapping much easier. graphics are easier in little squares instead of whole maps at once and it lets you recycle with less work

How would you like to see this engine built? Web based, or desktop software? (HTML5/JS or C#.Net)

depends on if there is a way to protect graphics from being ripped using the web based.. the client being on the web would make the game more accessible to users but at least for me if i had to sacrifice performance to get it on the web id say c#

didnt answer the rest im not too familiar with EO i didnt use it long and as far as awesome features well.. make proper menus! many of the menus on EO and other engines are scroll bars and it confuddles me.