Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My first attempt at mapping

Coolguy6318

Hi all this is my 1st attempt at mapping and I just wanted to see what you think of them

Map #1
![](http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/c072ad8110930fd8b57274807b0debe44g.jpg)

Map #2
![](http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/27c27bf61922393db5fcea66118756654g.jpg)

Map #3
![](http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/f44708f1a920e59733d5201859c36f254g.jpg)

Map #4
![](http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/83082edc0d27cb0fc13cf15ad55dc9814g.jpg)

What engine are you using?
If you're using ES or EE, then in the first tileset, there is long grass. The center is the blocky tiles, while the 8 around it are transition tiles. Those are just examples, as most tiles have transition tiles. Kinda confusing I know, but i hope i helped.

For a beginner, they are not bad!

Suggestions:

For the first map, you may want to redo the cliffs a bit. Try to make them a little more "rough" unless they are man-made, cliffs in real life don't usually go in a straight line like that.

For your tent map, I would suggest making it a big smaller. For indoor maps, its ok to have black around the outside of your map. Just make sure that it looks right. I would make it a lot smaller, being that it is only a tent. You kind of want it to be pretty proportional.

For your paths, its a given to use the "transition tiles" DrNova was talking about. They pretty much make it so that the paths kind of blend in with nature. There should be an overlay of grass that is meant to cover part of the path. This just gives it a more natural effect.

Finally, with greenery (trees flowers), and I suppose this goes with decorations as well. Keep in mind how trees are positioned in real life. When you walk outisde do you see just random trees anywhere? or do you see them scattered (sometimes alone or sometimes with friends)  :azn: And that goes along with decorating your maps. If you are doing an indoor map, try to keep in mind, if this were my tent, how would I REALLY have this decorated. I mean im sure you wouldn't have things spread out like crazy. That would be one dysfunctional tent. lol. Try to keep in mind that when you do maps, you want to make them look like they would in real life.

Sorry that's a lot to guzzle, but if you keep working on it I'm sure you will have amazing maps  :azn:

@Jeff:

> look at some mapping tutorials.  They are in the tutorial board.  You are making all the newb mistakes xD

Its all good. Everyone starts somewhere  :azn: I'm going on his server tonight to help him and give him some pointers.

So everyone can expect an updated show-off soon!  :azn:

• 10 months later...
Coolguy it's me again. Get back to me. I hope you modify the post and stop taking credit. I am there in every picture. Head Mapper. Except the first. But as you can see that was my first map. The second map was in the tent. I remember. And the 3rd map was on the way to the farm map. Which has the farmhouse that my broth ASH2711 designed and mapped in the inside.

Not sure why you would want to get credit for these maps, they're not exactly the greatest maps ever. Besides that, you have multiple accounts and have effectively quintuple posted.
If someone is stealing your work and it's a big deal to you, report it to administration.
Also, if you're trying to recruit the guy that stole your maps, PM him, not accuse him and offer a position in the same thread..