Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nintendo to allow use of characters in non-commercial media

Chakkra

So what does this mean for us? Our fan made mmorpgs based on iconic franchises such as The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario can nolonger be subject to copyright issues. No more cease and desist letters! So go ahead, innovators and make the fan games you have always aspired to!

[http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2014/11/17/nintendo-to-allow-its-characters-in-other-media-license-free/](http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2014/11/17/nintendo-to-allow-its-characters-in-other-media-license-free/)

It just means you can make media like videos circling around those characters, you can't just steal them. The difference between making videos vs. a video game, is that one is not a direct competition to Nintendo, and it is more so just a way to advertise for them.

> It just means you can make media like videos circling around those characters, you can't just steal them. The difference between making videos vs. a video game, is that one is not a direct competition to Nintendo, and it is more so just a way to advertise for them.

In addition that statement was limited to nicovideo.jp.

> They're saying that "let's play" video makers can legally create said videos as long as they are not producing a cash flow. My interpretation anyway.

True, however it's limited.

> Nintendo announced on a stream that videos featuring their games properties uploaded to Nicovideo.jp is allowed. So far, they have acknowledged it for Let's Plays, Game Music Covers, and Fan Art. Nothing else.
>
> ~~Under a Creative Endorsement Program from Nicovideo (Dwango), which rewards video creators for making high-ranking videos, Nintendo will allow videos using Nintendo properties to receive such prizes. ~~
> ~~There is a list of titles which they have not revealed for which the Creative Endorsement Program can be applied to, so it only applies under these titles. The program will be activated on 1st December, so expect more details later on.~~

In summary you are allowed to upload to Nicovideo.jp, and you are only allowed to upload Let's Plays, GMCs and Fanart.

This does not include YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc. This also doesn't include streaming sites like Hitbox and Twitch. Nintendo may or may not revise their statement to include these sites as well.

The text I added a strikethrough to is valid, but it's specifically related to the Creative Endorsement Program and receiving something of monetary value, not uploading for free.

> Nintendo is still really bad about ownership laws. May lead to their downfall as a company, but best of wishes to them.

What's theirs is theirs. Universal is the one who sued Nintendo for infringement on King Kong with the creation of Donkey Kong after they (Universal) had previously fought a court case on the stance of King Kong being public domain (thereby Nintendo being able to commercialize their derivative character). Now talk about bad ownership there. ~_^

What Nintendo is, is a company that is extremely protective of their characters, and rightfully so. Sony and Microsoft have business interests outside the realms of the Playstation and Xbox. Some of the most well known Playstation and Xbox games are things like Call of Duty and Battlefield. Nintendo? Pikmin, Pokemon, Mario, Luigi, Zelda, Fire Emblem. Nintendo lives by their characters, and dies without them.

Nintendo would make way more money if they allowed Let's Plays and such of that nature in the YouTube space. I actually bought Mario Kart 8 after seeing someone play it. Now tell me about irony.

The problem is that by taking videos off of YouTube harms their credibility with the fans and harms potential marketing/awareness they would of got from that video. Basically, Nintendo is an outdated company that lives by its old methods of protection, when it should fully exploit them to live longer rather than die than their characters would be stolen easily anyway. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo won't die that soon, but this could lead them to their demise if they push hard enough against it. But heck Sony has a bigger chance of collapsing as a company.

> Nintendo would make way more money if they allowed Let's Plays and such of that nature in the YouTube space. I actually bought Mario Kart 8 after seeing someone play it. Now tell me about irony.
>
>  
>
> The problem is that by taking videos off of YouTube harms their credibility with the fans and harms potential marketing/awareness they would of got from that video. Basically, Nintendo is an outdated company that lives by its old methods of protection, when it should fully exploit them to live longer rather than die than their characters would be stolen easily anyway. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo won't die that soon, but this could lead them to their demise if they push hard enough against it. But heck Sony has a bigger chance of collapsing as a company.

The fact that they made a statement allowing it on Nicovideo should be a tell-tale sign to you that it's likely coming to the YouTube space as well, they aren't stupid. There _is_ a contest on Nicovideo starting December 1st, which is probably why it was announced now.

> The fact that they made a statement allowing it on Nicovideo should be a tell-tale sign to you that it's likely coming to the YouTube space as well, they aren't stupid. There _is_ a contest on Nicovideo starting December 1st, which is probably why it was announced now.

Yeah, let's hope so. :)