Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game Drops Connection? :(

Timmah

Well, I have a player, who is 12 and plays my game. He isn't a fast typer so takes awhile to log in. Maybe about 3 minutes to type his infomation.  Well, after he clicks log in, it sits there at Connected. Logging In.

But, if he logs in in less then like 10 seconds, eveything goes smooth. Is it dropping the connection? Is there a source edit I can make to keep the connecition alive? Because this is a pretty huge bug.

I'm using Eclipse Stable.

@Robin:

> Then tell him to save his username and password.

Ok, but what about others that play my game, that I dont know? Some may take awhile, and the game will drop the connection, and they would have to close the game and reopen it. Is there a timer I could make that can call a sub to check if the connection is active or….?

@Timmah:

> Ok, but what about others that play my game, that I dont know? Some may take awhile, and the game will drop the connection, and they would have to close the game and reopen it. Is there a timer I could make that can call a sub to check if the connection is active or….?

Two words - Eclipse Stable.

Download Origins and see if he gets the same problem with that.

• 1 month later...
Kind of a necro. I'm not as familiar with ES as I used to be but, it is worth just converting to Eclipse Origins, even if it does mean starting from scratch. As for your issue, one solution is to make the connection to the server start when the user actually clicks login, instead of doing it when the client first runs.

That's exactly how Origins handles it. Connection is created when you actually log in.

@Timmah; I've warned you several times now that using Eclipse Stable will be the downfall of your game. Ignoring my advice isn't the cleverest thing you can do.

As for fixing it, simply remove that shitty 'Users Online' on the main menu. It forces a TCP connection to be initialised as soon as the form is loaded. Switch it over to the TCP connection only being created when you try and log in.

Obviously this is only bypassing the issue, though. Having a connection time out like that isn't normal.

• 2 weeks later...
@Robin:

> That's exactly how Origins handles it. Connection is created when you actually log in.
>
> @Timmah; I've warned you several times now that using Eclipse Stable will be the downfall of your game. Ignoring my advice isn't the cleverest thing you can do.
>
> As for fixing it, simply remove that shitty 'Users Online' on the main menu. It forces a TCP connection to be initialised as soon as the form is loaded. Switch it over to the TCP connection only being created when you try and log in.
>
> Obviously this is only bypassing the issue, though. Having a connection time out like that isn't normal.

Thanks for all your help guys. Yes, I am gonna use Orgins when I make my next game after Day of Chaos.  I'm not ignoring you, I downloaded it and I'm playing around with it, cause it is gonna be the next big thing.  Converting 2 years of hardwork and coding is hard to do, since they are both different in terms of the code.

ES is like Flash Player, it must die (: lol.  EO is HTML5\. (: