Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Soulpowers Online

Sealbreaker

![](http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7091/gamelogo2.png)
**What is Soulpowers Online?**
Soulpowers Online (SPO) will be a free 2d sidescrolling ORPG which will first be released in english and later in german language. SPO will be mainly be unique because of its innovative features such as the character & skills - System. I started with working on the engine alone as a fun-project but I became serious about it and I'm working on it atleast 2 hours inside the week and more on weekends. It's being worked SPO for over 2 months now. Our aim is to make SPO a good free ORPG that stands out of the masses of ORPGs out there.

**Character & Skill - System?:**
The C&S-System will take a big role in SPO. The first thing to mention here: There won't be set classes in SPO and 7 different stats: strength, intelligence, defense, speed, luck, vitality and magic. Each level-up will grant you 2 stat-points that you can spend freely. Like in many ORPGs out there, there will be merchants, selling skill-books, containing basic skills -but not too many. The biggest part of skills you will gain are earned through killing monsters which will release their souls. These sould can be activated, having a random chance for you to gain a random skill. Therefore you can form your character through luck and your wishes. It'll be hard to find 2 players being build the exact same way.

**Features in SPO:**
SPO will have all basic features that you'd expect from an ORPG like many quests, pvp while features like the soul-system and special jobs will make the gaming-experience unique and creative. I won't list all features here but you can ask for the features you want and maybe this will even give us inspiration.

**Story & Background:**
SPOs story is in heavy development at the moment. We have the main-ideas down but it still needs alot of work. We will release the full story later on in this topic.

**Homepage:**
The homepage is under development as well, but atleast we got something little (not final ofc) to show here (later it'll be a real domain) : www.soulpowers.111mb.de . The client uses many placeholders as well so we definately need someone to make graphics still.

**The engine:**
The engine (client, server) will be coded from scratch, using java as the programming language. Therefore, SPO will be platform-independant and later will run on internet-browsers (planned after release). At the moment we still are in early stages, having registration, login, chat, the map-editor (maploading will follow pretty soon) and some small stuff done. Until release it will take a long time but we think it'll be worth it.

**The team:**
Jan, aka Sealbreaker – Programmer, Team-Management
Daniel – Homepage
Fredrik - Game Concept Design & Game Lore
–> We had some more inactive team-members in the past but we decided to look for some fresh and    active people for our development-team.

**We are looking for:**
Someone for making the GUI (graphical user interface) for SPO and someone for making ingame-graphics (pixelartist or vector graphics) because with the graphics we use at the moment probably noone would want to play it later on.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Soulpowers-Online/183089821713418
Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/teamsoulpowers   

**Video:**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOvdcPypxY

**Progress:**
-Mapeditor
- Login & Registration fully working
- Ingame-Menu done (with placeholders :( )
- Ingame-Frames for quests, character etc. can be dragged around - nothing inside yet and just placeholders
- Character-placeholder can run around with your name on top, you can see player-information in the upper left
- full gravity & jumping
- coordinates being saved when logged off
- minimap with player location marked on it… doesnt work perfectly, maybe the player-mark will be removed
- Chat working (global atm, later with: Map-Chat & Wispering)
- Blocking & Warping-Attribute, player can change maps

**You want to be part of this project?**
Send me an application via PM with your name, age and atleast 2 examples of your work.
IF you think you would add something to our team even if you are not a graphics-artist (I don't mean something like "I'd like to be a mapper") then you can send me an application as well.
We are not willing or even able to pay you for working for this project. We may be able to pay you later, considering money earned by ads maybe, but we can't promise anything.

We prefer contact through pm, but you could still add me on msn: [email protected]

In hope for applications and constructive, serious critism maybe,
    - Team Soulpowers

For now there are atleast some screenshots for you attached… Hope that the video will be on soon.

Finished the code for map-loading today, already showing map1 when logged in… (you can't do anything and your character doesnt appear atm - up next).
We're still looking for graphics-artists for doing the gui-work AND someone for pixelart (characters, items, tiles ) (maybe more than 1 person for that job because it's ALOT to do... even if you have alot of time), so if you're interested, pm me.

-seal

Well i can do evrything you sayd for pixeling but now im working hard on my game.But im shure you will find better one than me ;d.And nice ceep it up  ;)

@MrMiguu:

> The way to do it is pick a low resolution (e.g. 640x480, or 800x600) and have the engine adjust it in accordance to the size of the player's screen.

the engine already does ;) I just forget to turn down before taking the screenshot… i'm used to resolutions of 1600x900 or higher :/

-seal

@MrMiguu:

> Oh. Well, in that case… Not too bad. You might need a bit more work on the GUI. I like the main menu concept design of the giant rock. It's awesome.

Thanks & That's exactly why I am looking for graphic-artists ;) gui, gfx… everything that i can only make placeholders for :D

-seal

Little update & Bump:
Just finished gravity, the characters placeholder(have to make walking-animation though… I suck at this even if it's just placeholders (stickman :D )) already with hair & face loading (made 2 placeholders for testing the customization and it worked). Maps work fine, gravity works fine... the plans for this and the next day(s?) are:
- Making the map finally scroll correctly
- Adding walking-animation
- Make the server save the players coordinates
- Clean up the code again and maybe improve it here&there

I wanted to post screenshots, but I have some problems taking a screenshot the way I always did which is caused by the fsem (fullscreen exclusive-mode) (if you know what this is...). If someone of you can give me a link for a program to do this I would be thankful.
Oh, and I think I'm going to take the video when chracter-synchronization works, so I can show some friends of mine and me running around ;)

Still in hope for applicants for making the graphics,

-seal

Edit: Added Progress-Information in main-post

Weekly Update:
- Player can walk around (with animation everything already - Still just using placeholders :/ )
- Gravity & Jumping
- Saving of locations on logoff
- Minimap with player-marker (player-marker may be removed because of not working 100% correctly)

Plans for the next weeks:
- Blocking-Attribute for blocking right&left-movement
- Warp-Attribute
- Player-Synchronization
- Spamblock & Map&Global chat
- Hp&Mp-bars with respawn at last city the player has been in
- Heal&Damage (over time) - Attribute
- Character-Window with changing your players look
- NPCs

We still need someone for the ingame-graphics!

-Seal

Thank you miguu. We just took the video in full hd with fraps and realised that 2.5 minuts are almost 3gb of disk-space big :/ Will take some time to edit & upload… Hope we'll get it done tonight.

-seal

Edit: Video has been uploaded (may not be viewable already (youtube <.<)) :
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOvdcPypxY

Weekly Update:
- Blocking-Attributes now work
- Warping-Attrbutes now work, changing your map, adjusting camera etc.
- We got a new Team-Member for graphics (testing-phase… I've not seen any of his "real" work yet)

Just a small update this time, but next week it'll be bigger I think (School is damn time consuming :P )

-seal

@Sealbreaker:

> I just got the information on the wip-topic on gamedev.net that I could use so-called "vector graphics" as well, so we are looking for a pixel- OR vector-artist.
> Stilll in hope for applications,
>
> -seal

Vector is good, it can be any resolution without losing quality! Downside: Takes more programming, doesn't draw like a bitmap image.

@bladejsc1997:

> Vector is good, it can be any resolution without losing quality! Downside: Takes more programming, doesn't draw like a bitmap image.

Um…

I don't think it really takes "more programming", _per se_. Vectors are just a bit tricky to work with in comparison to something like DirectDraw (which is easy). Vectors also display artifacts more frequently since you're trying to show 2-D graphics in a 3-D environment. Bitmaps are just larger because their quality is exact.

@MrMiguu:

> Vectors also display artifacts more frequently since you're trying to show 2-D graphics in a 3-D environment. Bitmaps are just larger because their quality is exact.

![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/Reaction/1280643348696.gif)