Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game title and story someone can use

Zyvo

I Usually just out of the blue think up really good Ideas for games, However I am preoccupied with building one at the moment. That's why I've decided to allow another person to use the Idea on this page as something to make an MMORPG with.

The only real thing I ask in return, is that I be mentioned in the credits and message me if you do plan on using this game design idea.

**Dreams of Dersnek**

On a world known as Dersnek, all of it's citizens spontaneously lost their memories about a decade ago. Scientists found blueprints for a machine of sorts, abandoned for the high mortality rate, in the Old Archives, which was noted to record thoughts or dreams. About 2 years ago they found out that some individuals have recurring dreams of what they think are memories.

In order to reestablish the world as it once was, these individuals must work to decipher the past. However, the machine requires the individual to access the memories by assorting memory fragments to determine what kind of memory is to be played out. The experiment notes for the old discarded project states that Memory fragments must be used to access the memories, and in turn, the individual must find new fragments to unlock new memories.

We are counting on these individuals to solve the mysteries of our past, so we can have a future. It is in their hands now
–----------------------------------------------

Basically the storyline says how such a game like this would work. you collect Memory fragments and explore different memories to attempt to, somehow, save the world from... An Unknown threat, and learn about the world's past.

To put it in a metaphorical sense:
Your solving a puzzle of blank pieces.

I just have a few bits of help for anyone willing to use this Idea:

>! 1: Memory fragmentation
Memories would need to be accessed by sticking together Memory fragments. The best, and easiest, way i can think of doing this is by making 26 memory fragments, one for each letter of the alphabet.
>! 2: Dream Mode
It would make the most sense to have certain dreams have "laws" which would restrict players from doing certain things, or using certain items.
>! 3: Death
Basically the player will naturally attempt to stay alive, however is such a death were to occur as a mistake made in the Dream, the player would die. However, the unlikely event of a player witnessing a memory of a persons death, in which the person who dies is who their acting for, the system would force them out of the dream and declare that fragment as a corrupted dream(if the player wins the fight.).
>! 4: Items in Dreams
Some dreams should have limitations on what you can actually use. Such as sometimes having preequipped equipment or not being able to cast spells. However, if you include crafting, I personally would use the same materials used to travel from dream to dream, the Memory Fragments.
>! 5: Player to Player interaction
Player to player interaction is a hard concept of something like this. I would make the first area you go to (some easy to remember sequence like "A B C D") a Town or something where players can be free to run about not connected to a Dream, like a Synthesized town made by the machine.
>! As for in memories, something like a restrictive amount of players to such "AABF" dream code, where each active player is playing a specific character in the memory.
>! 6: Quests
The only quests I would suggest having is those to correctly act out the Memory.
>! 7: Game Layout
As for how the game looks, weather it be in a magical world, or a modern time world, it's up to you. I would at least have a city to walk around in outside of the Machine thingy, to help people in the real world and help everyone find some new areas you've visited.
>! 8: Player Level & Class
Personally I would have it where there was no leveling, instead you would choose a class and depending on that it would have major effects to how the game acts.
>! Such as a low magic character would have a 50% reduction to spell power, and a 50% bonus to casting time. Or a Fighter would have a 50% reduction to spell Power, and a 50% bonus to weapon power. etc…

I'd really like to see what someone, if anyone, can make from this Idea. I would surely play it and I'm sure others would like the oddness of playing in a virtual dream world.

Well, it's not boring, but you need to fill that space with something else, at least if we use the theory of "player types" (achievers, explorers, socializers, killers). That is if we treat this idea as a normal MMORPG (and is just theoretically).
Anyway, the idea seems very good. Instead of making a full game with it, you can implement the dreaming stuff to another game. I can think of at least 2 commercial MMORPGs that use something similar to this:
-Mabinogi, in the story quest where you get the control of some adventurers in some kind of dream (?).
-Dream of Mirror Online, where you needed to obtain artifacts and memory fragments (or something like that, I don't remember).
Also, Assassins Creed comes to my mind xD, but that's not a MMORPG.

(Kinda) sorry if I came with useless facts,
L'ark Mitsinikos

I like the idea. Mabinogi has little if no relation to it, not sure about Dream of Mirror but i'm assuming it also has nothing to do with your idea.

If i do a random brainstorm i can see where Assassins Creed can relate, but in the same respect, that comparison is like comparing a snake to a spider because they both have venom. So..their still both entirely different species.

At any rate, i think your idea is fairly attractive in terms of using/expanding it to any game in general. The whole "Different parts of memories." Can be for example, different Maps, and such. Pretty neat, kuddo's.

@mitlark:

> -Mabinogi, in the story quest where you get the control of some adventurers in some kind of dream (?).
> -Dream of Mirror Online, where you needed to obtain artifacts and memory fragments (or something like that, I don't remember).
> Also, Assassins Creed comes to my mind xD, but that's not a MMORPG.

Mabinogi:
yea I did play that for a short time, got bored with it a while ago. You don't really run "Dreams" it's a memory but you play them in a dungeon. you cannot explore the town or anything in the other character's body.

DoMO: Never played it.

Assassin's Creed:
Yes, the Animus does seem like this Idea, however that taps into Desmond's Ancestral memories of Altiar (#1) and the Italian guy in #2\. However he is fully conscious and is not actually dreaming. But same basic concept but with memories of other people, not just those related to you.

One more does come in mind when I think about it ".Hack". Really the only part of this that would be the same would be the 'chaos gate' because your using assortments of data to access different worlds. however that is a virtual MMORPG game world, still not dreams or memories.

Still I'm surprised to see so much chat about this Idea, Keep it coming.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would people want to take other peoples stories and names? Surely the whole point of getting people to play your game is through something creative and interesting (that's what entices me). The whole point of this engine is too express your creativity and by using your story I think that destroys the point of this engine. Sorry I appreciate that you are trying to be generous etc and I don't mean to have a go but I just think it isn't a good idea mate.