Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Small Cliff, Grass Mound, Need 2nd Opinion.

Grizzy

It feels like you've just sprayed 3-4 colors in paint and call it a cliff. :/
And since when are cliffs green?
If it would be a tiny tiny hill, then it wouldn't be as square and also have the texture of the grass on top of it, it still would have that even if it was a cliff (if you're not gonna have all rock on top)

Well its supposed to just be a little grass mound, thats a little higher than the normal grass, I know its not the best which is why I posted it for advice how to make it look better. I want it to look better quality than that, just not sure how..

*also I didn't use the spray tool, I know not to ever use the spray tool in paint. :P*

Is that.. The MSPaint "Spray" tool? ._.

Anyways, your cliff reminds me of a green cake more than an actual cliff. You kind of have a weird strip going through the middle.  Your character is as tall as 3 of your "cliffs".  You need alot more colors in your palette, everything seems nearly the same color, and blends horribly.

In short, I'd suggest raising the height of your cliff by atleast 2 times.Then making it more of a soil-brown color than a odd green. After that, change up the colors of your grass, maybe add some dirt patches to show that it's the top of a cliff. Maybe even add some more detailed ridges.

@Toshiro:

> Is that.. The MSPaint "Spray" tool? ._.
>
> Anyways, your cliff reminds me of a green cake more than an actual cliff. You kind of have a weird strip going through the middle.  Your character is as tall as 3 of your "cliffs".  You need alot more colors in your palette, everything seems nearly the same color, and blends horribly.

Its not the spray tool as I said above and its not supposed to be a cliff which is why its so small, its supposed to be a small gass mound, like a mini cliff. :P

& at Chief.. Idk how to say this but I don't exactly have a pallet before I make each item or tile I sort out a few colors and make a mini pallet for that particular thing? Is that not okay? lol.

In short, I'd suggest raising the height of your cliff by atleast 2 times.Then making it more of a soil-brown color than a odd green. After that, change up the colors of your grass, maybe add some dirt patches to show that it's the top of a cliff. Maybe even add some more detailed ridges.

My mound edit: ![](http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6899/grassmound.png)

@Grizzy:

> My mound edit: ![](http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6899/grassmound.png)

Alright, you're definitely on the right track. Just gotta experiment with some more colors and give your cliff more height to match your character. Though Chief already offered to help with the above.

@Toshiro:

> Alright, you're definitely on the right track. Just gotta experiment with some more colors and give your cliff more height to match your character. Though Chief already offered to help with the above.

Thnx man, and yeah I just send the two tilesets to Chief. Prob using a pallet from the git go would of helped just a few things in I didn't have one, so I figured I could maybe get away w.o one. :P

@Grizzy:

> Thnx man, and yeah I just send the two tilesets to Chief. Prob using a pallet from the git go would of helped just a few things in I didn't have one, so I figured I could maybe get away w.o one. :P

I make up palettes as I go along.  It generally works, as long as you can make pallettes well.

Alright. A few things…

First of all, these:
http://localhostr.com/file/gUtx72I/grizzypalette.png

Should be perfect for a tileset. I did try recolouring your tiles with them, though, but some parts did not look so great. This is not because of the colours, its because of your art. The line work, how many colours youre using, etc. Something you should have done from the start, is keep track of your colours and create a palette as you go. You just used whatever came to mind, and it was a mess.

Secondly, I went easy on you with this palette. I put more colors in there than is needed. When you get better, you find ways to use the same colours for different things. Purple is good for shading. Yellow is good for highlights. You'll get the hang of it all later.

Thirdly... You should really redo most of the tiles in there. The wall is actually fine, but you need a different way to shade it. I would keep the line art of that wall, but recolour it differently, and redo almost every other tile. Youre thinking too blocky, everything is a bulky, and just not right.

Now, Fourthly. I you can change colours in the palette if you wish, but try not to add any more to whats there. There should be way more than enough for what youre doing.

I think thats it.

@Chief:

> You can add single colours here and there if youd like, but try to refrain from creating new columns all together. Overall, its your project, do what you want, all I'm really doing is offering suggestions.

I know, but obviously your a much more experienced pixel artist than me so I listen, it would be the same if I were playing a sport, learning in school, ect ect… if someone has advice and knows more than me I listen. Its the easiest way to get better.