Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Operating System

cowin000

Hi eclipse, i am trying to start my own software buisness and i am currently working in making an operating system from scratch. NOT LINUX. i am writing the BASIC from bianary coding, and making the rest from a starting seaquence of 3 qubed. Data acsess management of . Acd script and bianary fission of the electronic voltsos the system hardware. Basically in short im making my own computer and operating aystem like microsoft. This will be a team effort and i need the smartest people i can find ( ones who actually know what there doing and jot just some script kiddies)! To help with this project!

@Bob:

> The only 16 year old who can make a decent OS is Stephan.

That you know of so far. You never know, one day someone else might match up to his talent :P

Good luck though :) I tried to create an OS once (just an edit of linux so not really creating it) so I know how difficult it is :S

@Skweek:

> That you know of so far. You never know, one day someone else might match up to his talent :P
>
> Good luck though :) I tried to create an OS once (just an edit of linux so not really creating it) so I know how difficult it is :S

I hope that is a woman I am to be banging. But then again, if I think twice: I'd probably end up discussing several computer-related issues all the time.

@cowin:

> Hi eclipse, i am trying to start my own software buisness and i am currently working in making an operating system from scratch. NOT LINUX. i am writing the BASIC from bianary coding, and making the rest from a starting seaquence of 3 qubed. Data acsess management of . Acd script and bianary fission of the electronic voltsos the system hardware. Basically in short im making my own computer and operating aystem like microsoft. This will be a team effort and i need the smartest people i can find ( ones who actually know what there doing and jot just some script kiddies)! To help with this project!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, except for: "I need people that want to help me with creating an operating system."

The fact that you're saying that you want to build your own computer confuses me a lot, since that either means you want to assemble one from existing hardware, or use electronics to produce your own hardware. If it is the latter, then I surely wish you much success with that, since you'd need access to the tools to do it, which most people _never_ will have.

Since you are not using the 5W1H-pattern for your thread, I'm kind of forced to ask all these questions the Socratic way, so here goes:

* What audience do you plan to target? e.g. The embedded market, the server market, the desktop market, etc.
* What would be the design for your core and why? e.g. a monolithic kernel, a microkernel, an exokernel, a hybrid kernel, etc.
* What architecture do you plan to target and why? e.g. x86, x86-64, PPC32, PPC64, SPARC32, SPARC64, MIPS32, MIPS64, ARM, etc.
* What programming language(s) do you want to use and why? e.g. Assembly, C, C++, etc.
* Is there are a certain philosophy you've set up and that you tend to follow?
* Is there a reason why your audience would be interested in your product as a whole?
* Which of the following aspects interest you the most: robustness/reliability/stability, performance, ease of use (audience-wise), ease of programming (programmers-wise), security and minimisation (e.g. size-reductive programming)?
* What are you initial goals for a specific date, let's say 2012, perhaps?
* Do you want to support existing software and/or standards? e.g. POSIX et al.

These questions of course come from personal experience in the field, and I'd like to gain some perspective on what you want to do, exactly. Hence why I ask that many questions.

@Tivoilos:

> Dude good luck, you'll need Assembly, most def. I'd also have a test computer, or a virtual computer, on your computer you can get software for that.

@Admiral:

> Wait till Stephan gets on tomorrow, he'll probably point you in a better direction than any other users on here.
>
> In the meantime, learn Assembly, as well as some things on bootloaders, the bios, etc.  And be sure to check out OS Dev (http://osdev.org/) as well as their forums.

Assembly is certainly a must, even if it is just inline Assembly. There are so many things C and other programming languages can't do themselves. What I certainly do suggest when programming an operating system is to have your platform's processor manuals at hand (e.g. Intel's manuals and AMD's manuals for the x86(-64), Motorola/IBM's for POWER, ARM's manual for ARM, Sun Microsystems'/Oracle's manuals for (Ultra)SPARC, etc.), next to your platform's firmware documentation (PC BIOS has various resources; UEFI, OpenFirmware, etc. have specifications) and a few other documents (the more, the better).

I can't give a general direction as Anthony portrayed, however. To give a few examples:

* Some processors support paging, whilst other may have no way to manage memory that securely at all or something completely exotic like x86's segmentation model.
* Some platforms, generally in the embedded market, have no firmware and will boot your boot loader directly from a ROM.
* Some processors support I/O through memory, and will only have I/O-protection if there is memory protection present, whilst other processors have an I/O-bus with its very own protection mechanism.
* Depending on the design, the protection mechanisms might be too slow to be used (e.g. Microsoft Windows and GNU/Linux don't use I/O-protection because of this very reason, whilst MINIX does use I/O-protection).

Regards,
  Stephan.