Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Forum Service?

gdog12356

@K722:

> No way. Chief is right. phpBB is way better then SMF.
>
> IPB and vBulletin are the best forums out there.

i think that phpbb is horrible… smf should go i front. i have used it, and i hate it...

@Chief:

> I have experience using each of those extensively. SMF isnt that great. Just because Eclipse uses it does not make it any good.

thats not why. I use it, and i think it very neat.

I've use each of those since early versions of their software and have seen the develop and grow. SMF isn't impressive at all. phpBB beats it out.

vBulletin is also more stable and secure than SMF. The support and features for it are also better than SMF. Sure, you may be used to SMF, but that doesnt make it any better than the rest. I'm comparing these all from experience and how stable it is, rich in features, helpful support, etc.

Latest version of vBulletin is bloody awful, but the old versions were great. IPB is probably the best around right now. phpBB, again, was good back in the day but is dying now.

SMF is good for large forums but the skinning is ruddy awful and it generally just feels like shit. I still hate their permissions system with a passion.

myBB is my personal favourite when it comes to the free ones. The skinning is a breeze and if you're willing to go down a few levels and work with the core systems then you can make some nice stuff with it. Anything the larger software suites have can be added in yourself or already has been and released as a plugin.