Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I stress test my server?

Colonello

Hi everyone, I'm looking in to trying to see how many people/players can fit in my game at once without the server crashing or having issues. How do you suggest I do this? Lets say it only fits 20 people and I'd like to fit 50-100 is there any way to do that? I am also using a custom version of EO 3.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, to begin, I would try to figure out what your computer can put out on the network, and how much network output/input your computer can take. after that I would worry about your processor/servers ability to handle stress…

A very (very) bad, and very (very) expensive way to do it is to ddos yourself on that port. but ya know... internet companies dont like ddosing. and its kinda illegal in most developed countries.

> Well, to begin, I would try to figure out what your computer can put out on the network, and how much network output/input your computer can take. after that I would worry about your processor/servers ability to handle stress…
>
> A very (very) bad, and very (very) expensive way to do it is to ddos yourself on that port. but ya know... internet companies dont like ddosing. and its kinda illegal in most developed countries.

I think Colonello wants to stress test the engine, not the server. The question is: assuming we have X bandwidth, processor, and ram, how many people Eclipse can handle without crashing/lagging? Frankly, I'm interested too. We could set a day to stresstest various versions of Eclipse with any bandwidth/hardware specs and from there extrapolate the results to know exactly what we would need to host 30 users or 200.

10 users in each map, each map with 100x100 tiles, and some npcs to interact with.

In my experience, the server can handle up to 70 fine. If you want more, you simply just need to break the server processing up more and allocate them to do different tasks, sort of like a cluster server. These engines were never meant for big games, and even my game does not exceed the need of Eclipse yet. I doubt yours will.

> In my experience, the server can handle up to 70 fine. If you want more, you simply just need to break the server processing up more and allocate them to do different tasks, sort of like a cluster server. These engines were never meant for big games, and even my game does not exceed the need of Eclipse yet. I doubt yours will.

I find funny how you put others down at the same time you compliment yourself every time you talk about your beliefs. Even if his game didn't actually have a chance of success and yours did, what would be the purpose of stating it? Time to compensate for being insensitive by doing stress test.

> I find funny how you put others down at the same time you compliment yourself every time you talk about your beliefs. Even if his game didn't actually have a chance of success and yours did, what would be the purpose of stating it? Time to compensate for being insensitive by doing stress test.

Because, if this is your first time making a MMO, it won't get that big. I can assure you. These games take much practice. I am saying, someone with the amount of practice that I have, I am a realist whereas most people who jump into this have no idea and think their game will get super big. It isn't that **easy**.

If you can't code your own MMO architecture then who cares? Why ask a question like that if there are no other options available. It's always good to make a prototype first with your game. I am offering early feedback to people with higher ambitions than what they can actually deliver, I am doing a favor by sharing my beliefs.