Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[POLL] In-Game Music

EclipseCommunity

How many of you listen to the in-game music? Not just in Eclipse/Mirage games, but games in general.

I'm considering taking out the entire music system in my EO game if the percentage of players who DON'T listen to in-game music, is considerably higher than players who DO listen to in-game music.

in the case of midi its not always stunning on the ears, but considering the possibilities with eclipse i'd at least try to install the mp3 mods and give that a go. I do however have a highly musical background and could probably make some ambiance as an mp3 without too much hastle.

music in games sets the mood, even if the 'music' is just background noise for the area, if however you mean use rpg makers midi filesā€¦I would personally not xD

A proper game has proper music and sound as well, as music is a huge influence on atmosphere and immersion to a player's experience. Just think of how lame Star Wars would be without it's musical score?

About MIDI, I'm not gonna bash midi as it's perfectly usable for music. Depending on the quality of the midi score and the quality of the sound card, it can sometimes be harsh, but it's up to the game developer to create or procure the best quality they can for their game.

@Xlithan:

> I'm considering taking out the entire music system in my EO game if the percentage of players who DON'T listen to in-game music, is considerably higher than players who DO listen to in-game music.

I just want to ask, what's the point?
Why go to that hassle when you can be doing something 10x better in that time?

Because if a system isn't going to be used, I'd rather it be removed. Takes 30 seconds to remove the PlayMidi procedures and any calls.

Not to mention the midi system isn't working in Modification(S) so I'm tempted to just get rid of it and have some kind of MP3 system installed at a later date. The problem with the MP3 system is that nobody has released a WORKING system that replays the file when it's finished.

I have an API which is compiled within my source that plays MP3s but i've no idea how these things work so I've not played around with it much.

Being a musician, and a very keen film score fan, I know what music does to a game/scene but the free MIDI's available from RPG Maker series aren't that great.

@Xlithan:

> Because if a system isn't going to be used, I'd rather it be removed. Takes 30 seconds to remove the PlayMidi procedures and any calls.

Why?

@Xlithan:

> Modification(S)

There's your problem right there.

@Xlithan:

> I have an API which is compiled within my source that plays MP3s but i've no idea how these things work so I've not played around with it much.

Then go find a decent library?

@Xlithan:

> Being a musician, and a very keen film score fan, I know what music does to a game/scene but the free MIDI's available from RPG Maker series aren't that great.

Those technically aren't free. Plenty of awesome free-to-use midi scores around. Hell, check out the unique soundtrack on Crystalshire.

I do listen to the sounds/music in a game. Exceptions are:
* Listening to my own music, so turning the Game's music down a tad.
* I don't like the Music that's playing.

The Music and Sound, in my opinion, can completely make a game better or worse. Good music quality and rithm gives the game a nice atmosphere. Like in a battle, you really need good battle music to make the fight more then just virtual.

When I battle a NPC and hear good battle-themed music, thoughts of the battle appear in my head. It's a bit weird, but for me, music is a important thing that can make me like the game or just sigh in frustration when the music starts.

@Rusher:

> When I battle a NPC and hear good battle-themed music, thoughts of the battle appear in my head. It's a bit weird, but for me, music is a important thing that can make me like the game or just sigh in frustration when the music starts.

It's not weird, it's perfectly normal. Games are a visual-audio medium.

A great man once said that a game without sound is simply a tech demo. ;]

Modification(S) as it stands right now is a good resource. He's improved the pet system, and the quest system works pretty good.

The only issue is that there is an annoying bug with the music system which I just can't figure out, because comparing his code to the default EO code shows no change in the programming.

However, that's not what we are here to talk about.

I think so far the vote with game music is that games should definitely include music, so I'll find that MP3 system and work on getting a decent collection together (Even if I have to rip the music from an old game :P)

@Xlithan:

> I think so far the vote with game music is that games should definitely include music, so I'll find that MP3 system and work on getting a decent collection together (Even if I have to rip the music from an old game :P)

I don't think it's worth removing, you've seen how it can add to the atmosphere of a game.

Yeah, in big games like WoW, Diablo, and console games the music is important. But you have to remember that most of the big games are full-screen, and you're only ever playing the game.

With small games made using the Eclipse engine, it's only windowed, and people are doing other things whilst playing, like chatting on facebook and watching p0rn, or listening to their own music or watching tv.

However, Damians MP3 system seems to work really really well, which has also fixed the issue with music in Modification(S), so I'll be browing through some old RPG game music and adding it to my collection.
Sure it's illegal, and theft is a crime, but unless any of you making games here are creating your own graphics and music, we're all in this lawsuit together ;)

@Xlithan:

> Yeah, in big games like WoW, Diablo, and console games the music is important. But you have to remember that most of the big games are full-screen, and you're only ever playing the game.
>
> With small games made using the Eclipse engine, it's only windowed, and people are doing other things whilst playing, like chatting on facebook and watching p0rn, or listening to their own music or watching tv.

lolwat. Assuming that everyone does the same as you isn't clever. Give people the option to turn off music but don't remove the entire sound engine just because you jack off whilst playing your own game.

Music is a simply said, a important asset to a game and should not be removed, at all.
I think it almost equals the importance of tiles and a good engine. When made custom, tiles and sprites are great to show that your game doesn't look like any other 2D game on the Internet.

But unique music gives the game a feeling that it isn't just a game. It's your choice if you remove the music, but know that I don't only play games just to kill time or they have great features. It's because they make me feel like I'm really in that game myself. And whats, for an example, the point of a horror game, if you're not into it?

Your game would only be a game to be used to kill time. It may be hard to believe but music as I said earlier, creates a good atmosphere in the game, which can cause a good community. And I sure as hell aren't going to play a MMORPG where the community is so dull, people won't even talk.

• 2 months later...
Even if you don't like music in-game, don't remove the systembecause others do.
For example, a scene in TRL where Lara climbs to the top of the cliff and the camera swoops over a huge waterfall as she swan-dived from the very top. The music in that part made that scene so undescribably beautiful it motivated me to finish the game.

As long as the music isn't loud, repetitive or I'm listening to my own, I like in-game music. It adds a whole new dimension to gameplay. Look at the work of Immediate Music. Damn good :)