Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO] Map name text length

Savents

You either program a converter or delete them all. Considering you needed to ask how to change the string size then I'd say it's safe to say you can't write a converter.

Delete 'client\data files\maps' and 'server\data\maps'.

Well that sucks, deleting them is not an option really, to much work went into the maps thus far. For programing a converter, what exactly needs to be done for this type of case, I don't really know what is being converted, it seemed a simple enough edit (just longer characters in the map names) that I wouldn't have to delete my maps, guess I was wrong there.

@Savints:

> Well that sucks, deleting them is not an option really, to much work went into the maps thus far. For programing a converter, what exactly needs to be done for this type of case, I don't really know what is being converted, it seemed a simple enough edit (just longer characters in the map names) that I wouldn't have to delete my maps, guess I was wrong there.

You're changing something in the map UDT, you always need to delete/convert your maps after that.

It don't matter if its a tiny or big change.

@Savints:

> it seemed a simple enough edit

Maps are saved in binary. If you saved a maps in a certain way then tried to read them in another then the byte order would be completely off.

If you add another 4 characters to the string length then you'd be effectively displacing every single long value in the binary dump off by 2.

That means every single value in your map would be completely corrupted.

@Robin:

> Maps are saved in binary. If you saved a maps in a certain way then tried to read them in another then the byte order would be completely off.
>
> If you add another 4 characters to the string length then you'd be effectively displacing every single long value in the binary dump off by 2.
>
> That means every single value in your map would be completely corrupted.

Thanks that makes sense, I will guess I will stop production of maps, until I have all of the source edits I want, and work on mapping last, when everything else is 100% the way I want it.

You'll only ever need to clear the maps when you modify the existing data. Either changing a data type or add new stuff to the centre of the UDT.

Add new data types to the _end_ of the UDT and it'll load just fine as you haven't altered the load order.