Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 Quick Questions about EO?

Nighthawk0973

First of all, who acually developed EO? I was underthe impression Robin did but than the 'Site Owner' isn't Robin but some other guy…

Second of all, is there a version ('Stable' version?) that utilizes SadScript? I was under the impression SadScript was a modified version of VB Script built for XW.... and now their working on 'HappyScript' which is supposed to have more capabilities than SadScript (hence the more positive name)

Just some things I was wondering.

@Nighthawk0973:

> First of all, who acually developed EO? I was underthe impression Robin did but than the 'Site Owner' isn't Robin but some other guy…
>
> Second of all, is there a version ('Stable' version?) that utilizes SadScript? I was under the impression SadScript was a modified version of VB Script built for XW.... and now their working on 'HappyScript' which is supposed to have more capabilities than SadScript (hence the more positive name)
>
> Just some things I was wondering.

Robin made EO, and 'that other guy' Marsh is only managing the forums.

And Sadscript IS VB6, but 10 times slower.
It doesn't matter how they call it, its still crap.

Yeah, Robin created the latest version of Eclipse, which is Eclipse Origins.  Marsh is the owner of Touchofdeath Productions, but we've had various devs over the years.

Eclipse Stable supports sadscript, but it's far from stable and I'd ask that you don't use it – or sadscript.  XW uses scripting since they have no choice, because their engine is closed source (at least it was last time I checked).  Eclipse allows you to edit the source code, so there's really no reason to use a scripting system, hence why it was removed (or should I say "never implemented") in EO.

@Erwin:

> And Sadscript IS VB6, but 10 times slower.

Technically it's VBScript.

Don't act surprised that an interpreted scripting language is slower than a compiled programming language.

That's just how it is. I can always get Stephen in here to explain it all if you want. I'm sure you'd enjoy that(!)

@Nighthawk0973:

> First of all, who acually developed EO? I was underthe impression Robin did but than the 'Site Owner' isn't Robin but some other guy…

Evan owns the domains and hosts all the stuff. I made the engine, I made the forum skin, I made the website and I wrote up all the documentation. That's what I set out to do originally and when I completed that I retired to let someone else take the lime-light. I now just lurk around posting bug fixes and getting in to arguments.

@Nighthawk0973:

> Second of all, is there a version ('Stable' version?) that utilizes SadScript? I was under the impression SadScript was a modified version of VB Script built for XW…. and now their working on 'HappyScript' which is supposed to have more capabilities than SadScript (hence the more positive name)
>
> Just some things I was wondering.

Whoever told you that was lying. 'SadScript' is just a scripting control wrapper made by Thakra(?) back in ~'01\. Shannara added a tutorial to add it to Mirage and then all the old closed-source engines used it to allow people to add new features.

Konfuze used it because it was closed-source but was later released as open-source. Eclipse is based on that. As such Eclipse didn't have scripting for any real reason other than the fact that people were used to it. No one really cared about the speed or stability of the engine till I released Origins.

The developer of Stable himself uses Origins now and suggests no one use his engine.

[http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,68521.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,68521.0.html)

@Robin:

> Whoever told you that was lying. 'SadScript' is just a scripting control wrapper made by Thakra(?) back in ~'01\. Shannara added a tutorial to add it to Mirage and then all the old closed-source engines used it to allow people to add new features.
>
> Konfuze used it because it was closed-source but was later released as open-source. Eclipse is based on that. As such Eclipse didn't have scripting for any real reason other than the fact that people were used to it. No one really cared about the speed or stability of the engine till I released Origins.
>
> The developer of Stable himself uses Origins now and suggests no one use his engine.
>
> [http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,68521.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,68521.0.html)

Want to know well let's just say in XW land people are really stupid IQ of about 4 they think sadscript is a completely different language.

wow lots of posts!

Thanks for clearing that up, now I'm just going to post my thoughts on some of the posts:

@Robin:

> Don't act surprised that an interpreted scripting language is slower than a compiled programming language.
>
> That's just how it is. I can always get Stephen in here to explain it all if you want. I'm sure you'd enjoy that(!)
>
> Evan owns the domains and hosts all the stuff. I made the engine, I made the forum skin, I made the website and I wrote up all the documentation. That's what I set out to do originally and when I completed that I retired to let someone else take the lime-light. I now just lurk around posting bug fixes and getting in to arguments.
>
> Whoever told you that was lying. 'SadScript' is just a scripting control wrapper made by Thakra(?) back in ~'01\. Shannara added a tutorial to add it to Mirage and then all the old closed-source engines used it to allow people to add new features.
>
> Konfuze used it because it was closed-source but was later released as open-source. Eclipse is based on that. As such Eclipse didn't have scripting for any real reason other than the fact that people were used to it. No one really cared about the speed or stability of the engine till I released Origins.
>
> The developer of Stable himself uses Origins now and suggests no one use his engine.
>
> [http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,68521.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,68521.0.html)

Yes, I knew that the Stable developer didn't advise people to use it. I was never told SadScript was built for XW, I just learned about it when I found out about XW.

@Rawrz:

> Want to know well let's just say in XW land people are really stupid IQ of about 4 they think sadscript is a completely different language.

There's a guy on XW who acually thinks SadScript is a good language and that the 'HappyScript' language that was going to be relased with XW 1.0.4\. (HappyScript is temporarily cancelled since the guy 'resigned' and deleted all his posts, a lot of which where very important to scripters, for absolutely no known reason. The new XW developer, which isn't the original developer for some reason, doesn't understand the acuall scripting language section of the code)

Anyways that's all. Again, thanks for clearing that up for me I really appreciate it!