Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arts Degree?

saadhamza

So, i'm wanting to know what you can gain from getting a degree in an Arts subject. Now, i know that some people here don't believe that school helps, but i need to know anyways. I have a friend who needs some motivation to go to college, so this would really help me convince her. Thanks to everyone who helps <3

If she doesn't want to go to college that's her business, stop trying to coerce her. Secondly, If you are attending college with the aim to start a career afterwards pretty much everything in the arts is useless. At my school art students are strongly advised to get a minor in something else or even a double major. There are also some things within the sciences that are just as bad, but most of them provide more a chance to make a good living then any of the arts.

Robin, Art and Music are skills they can be learned, that's why art and music classes exist.

Yup, it does. I think she would go for Literature-ish type stuff.

And lol at the people telling me not to force her. I'm not her father, i'm her friend xD. Anyways, it's better to do something worthwhile with your life than to waste it at home, and i'm trying to get her to do something that she would be proud of. Also, it's not as if she's trying to make a lot of money off of her job, i'm assuming it's mostly just for fun. Though… hmm, i'll see about the double major idea. It sounds right but... i've heard it takes a ton of work.

How is an Arts degree worthless? I don't know much about it. Maybe if it's paired with a teaching degree, it would be better?

@Zonova:

> Yup, it does. I think she would go for Literature-ish type stuff.
>
> And lol at the people telling me not to force her. I'm not her father, i'm her friend xD. Anyways, it's better to do something worthwhile with your life than to waste it at home, and i'm trying to get her to do something that she would be proud of. Also, it's not as if she's trying to make a lot of money off of her job, i'm assuming it's mostly just for fun. Though… hmm, i'll see about the double major idea. It sounds right but... i've heard it takes a ton of work.
>
> How is an Arts degree worthless? I don't know much about it. Maybe if it's paired with a teaching degree, it would be better?

Oh double major is a shit ton of work… But could be worth it in the end.

@Zonova:

> Oh, ok. Thanks ^-^.
>
> Also, is becoming a writer a good idea?

Teaching is a nearly guaranteed route to a job. Becoming a 'writer' is a very bad idea Journalism is a good choice, but it's not easy to get into.

Having an art degree will tell employers she has experience and dedication, but if she is looking at a more independent career then an art degree is pretty useless.
Basically boils down to what she wants to do with her future and what measures is she willing to take to achieve it.

By getting an art degree you are boosting your chances in getting a job in any related industry. It's her bussiness but unless she's a compleate geniuss, she's just ignorant and stupid thinking she can learn everything by herself, because yes, art schools do teach you interesting things, just by being close to so called art.

@Azure:

> This, it always comes to this. If you work you can make anything work.

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

@Zonova:

> Oh, ok. Thanks ^-^.
>
> Also, is becoming a writer a good idea?

No. It's not. Just like making a band is a bad idea if we are talking about real life mechanics and finding your place in the gray sad society. Unless you know people who know people who can get you a job… or you are lucky as fuck.

@Kusy:

> Yeah, because everyone love that feeling when they contribute something absolutely meaningless to a conversation and still feel like they did something good.

I understand you have trouble reading, but really you should try it more often. 

@Azure:

> If she doesn't want to go to college that's her business, stop trying to coerce her. Secondly, If you are attending college with the aim to start a career afterwards pretty much everything in the arts is useless. At my school art students are strongly advised to get a minor in something else or even a double major. There are also some things within the sciences that are just as bad, but most of them provide more a chance to make a good living then any of the arts.
>
> Robin, Art and Music are skills they can be learned, that's why art and music classes exist.

@Zonova:

> Lol, i meant a Literature Teacher xD

Wait wait wait, should it be an ENGLISH major then? Being a teacher is a whole other thing also.

I have a degree in fine art and I have to admit, after a year of trying to find a job with it I still have nothing. The best I've managed to do is volunteer at the art house and help them with their classes.

@Egon:

> Wait wait wait, should it be an ENGLISH major then? Being a teacher is a whole other thing also.
>
> I have a degree in fine art and I have to admit, after a year of trying to find a job with it I still have nothing. The best I've managed to do is volunteer at the art house and help them with their classes.

Many of the teachers I know have their teaching accreditation and then a major or minor in what they teach.