Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many people are stuck at 800x600?

GrimReaperReborn

I was planning to make my game fullscreen at, by default, 1024x768 with no plans of letting it change. (its a hassle) This would leave out the 800x600 crowd which I feel is a very small, dying minority anyway. If enough people use 800x600 maybe I'll just make that the default size.

Well as you're character is always in the center, being able to see more tiles (further) is definatly an advantage. The advantage is even bigger in PvP and with long range spells

I would stick with 800x600, saves you some effort and complaining from your players.

@Tyr:

> Well as you're character is always in the center, being able to see more tiles (further) is definatly an advantage. The advantage is even bigger in PvP and with long range spells.

Why would you offer spells which have a range higher than the amount of tiles visible? Cap them at the minimum resolution.

@Harris:

> I use a fixed window of 960*640\. 800*600 displays are becoming outdated and soon very few people will use them.

Even 800x600 is too tall for some laptops. Of course you can't make the window too small.

@Robin:

> …slight advantage? I don't know what kind of game you're making but being able to see a couple of tiles further means jack shit.

It dose if you running though a field of Attack on sight creatures and your just a Pansy-Ass, then you could see them ahead of time and avoid them better. XD (Worst statagy in any RPG, never leveling up)

You are using Direct X. [Query the resolutions](http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg426138%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) and offer the user the option to set the resolution of the game.

@Robin:

> Pretty much all laptop users, bro.
>
> Just make it so you can re-size it. It's piss easy.

My laptop does support 1920×1080.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

```
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
```
I don't think your going to find anyone who uses 800 by 600 screen resolution anymore unless they have a very outdated computer or a problem with there eyes. Pretty much all laptops have 1024 by 786 screen resolution.

I would say at least people still use about 1024 by 786\. However if someone uses a netbook they might not get as much height as netbooks screen resolutions aren't as great as monitors. There high is only to 600\.

I wouldn't worry too much about mobile devices unless it's made for an Iphone it's not going to be played on it.

Here's a saying: "Slow code that does scale can be faster than fast code that doesn't scale." What this implies is that you should study your environment and produce the best result for that environment, i.e. your software should scale to the hardware.

Therefore:
@S.J.R.:

> You are using Direct X. [Query the resolutions](http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg426138%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) and offer the user the option to set the resolution of the game.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> You are using Direct X. [Query the resolutions](http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg426138%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) and offer the user the option to set the resolution of the game.

Logically this is the best option. Offering several resolutions even some that may not be commonly used is the best thing to do.