Find results in...

I bought the URL, whats next?

Grizzy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can go 2 ways. Free or Paid.

Paid are better, so since you bought it with GoDaddy, GoDaddy offers hosting. You could buy a package of hosting from them.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971

You should be able to configure your domain with them, since you bought it with them.

-Aaron

• 10 GB Space - This is the amount of space you have on the server to save your webpages and content
• Unlimited Bandwidth - This is the maximum amount of data that can be transfered each month
• 100 Email Accounts - This is the ammount of email accounts you get at @yourdomainname.com
• 10 MySQL Databases (1 GB ea.) - This is the amount of Databases you have acess to, their used for forums and lots of other things
As for the adds, im not sure
Does that help?

@Robin:

> Use Dreamhost if you only want a webhost.
>
> Or you can rent a Windows VPS and host both your game and webserver off it. As you'll have direct local access it'll make it a lot easier to integrate the two.

i went with the webgator thing before I read this and already payed for a month. Now I'm trying to watch tuts and figure out wtf im supposed to do.

@Kinjiru:

> Do you have a website made already?
> Your going to need an FTP client, I use file zilla
> http://filezilla-project.org/

do i have to pay for that as well? bc idk what anything is, ill figure it out tho.

No you dont have to Pay for FTP client side but you paying for FTP depends on your host, it should be writtem somewhere in your plan.

If you dont have a web site built, the best way to make one is use a WYSIWYG editor Like Microsoft FrontPage (older), or Microsoft Expressions Web(newer).

Those also have built in FTP clients.

WYSIWYG html editors you acctualy build your web site, kinda like making VB6 forms

@RyokuHasu:

> If you dont have a web site built, the **worst** way to make one is use a WYSIWYG editor Like Microsoft FrontPage (older), or Microsoft Expressions Web(newer).

I corrected this.

I encourage you to start off with HTML and CSS tutorials.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@Grizzy:

> Why do u encourage that and what about Dreamweaver CS4?

All WYSIWYG-editors are horrible. You'll need the full control to go anywhere with your design, i.e. you'll have to learn HTML and CSS. Especially, because most browsers do not support the standards set up by W3C correctly, which isn't taken into account by any of your WYSIWYG-editors.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@ S.J.R. van Schaik

O.o… how is it the worst?

you can get some pretey awsome things done in a WYSIWYG, then to add futher coding just flip the tab to the source and write. You can write the code and then instantly get a preveiw of it. whats sooo bad about that? It splits the work.

and yes Tutorials are always good, hard coding is always a good thing to know.

have you ever used the coding side of the WYSIWYG? they work better than a Notepad.

@S.J.R.:

> All WYSIWYG-editors are horrible. You'll need the full control to go anywhere with your design, i.e. you'll have to learn HTML and CSS. Especially, because most browsers do not support the standards set up by W3C correctly, which isn't taken into account by any of your WYSIWYG-editors.
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

So I need to go watch youtube videos on how to make a website with HTML & CSS?

@Grizzy:

> Why do u encourage that and what about Dreamweaver CS4?

I've use dreamweaver before, it's not bad, I'ts abot the same as Expression Web.
And yeah knowing how to do things properly and not taking short cuts is always a better option, but it does take time so it's not a quick option.