Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Minimalist GUI [Updated w/Main Menu]

Jaiden

Heya everyone!

I'm working on making a minimalist GUI, something that is small but still functional. This is totally a work in progress, so I'd love to get some critique before I finish it!

**EDIT: Added the finished version. Excuse the bad map, I just wanted a background example for the interface.**

>! ![](http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8726/minimalistguipreviewfin.png)

**I want some input on the main menu! :P**

>! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l189YjzbIdc

@7:

> Minimalist, yet 1024x768 px?
> May as well go all out, and get away with using more space, if it's that big.
>
> Writing's a bit hard to read, but apart from that, I like it.

do you know what minimalist means? A minimalist GUI is one that takes up as less GAME SCREEN SPACE as possible. The game could be different resolutions. My oh my.

@Strafe:

> do you know what minimalist means? A minimalist GUI is one that takes up as less GAME SCREEN SPACE as possible. The game could be different resolutions. My oh my.

I'm aware of what minimalist means, but there's no point of it being minimalist if some screen resolutions won't even fit the graphic.

Hence why I said "Minimalist, yet 1024x768 px? May as well go all out"

If it's an Eclipse game, I don't see it being made with different resolutions. It's possible, but idrc.

@Socuine:

> You don't understand, 7\. Minimalist doesn't involve resolutions, whether it's small or big. It involves low use of graphic, involving simplicity, etc.

I know. ._. Look at my GUI, I understand perfectly. I'm just saying, often when minimalist is used as a choice,  take into account the functionality of the GUI, particularly for the lowest denominator.

Or at least, I do. ;l

'cuse me for my input on functionality. ;D
Maybe you're just looking at the graphic as a graphic, but I take into account the aspects of it, and the function of it. Maybe I'm just too OCD about it.

@Jaiden:

> I'm making a switch to CSDE. DX8 is overall more powerful and I'm thinking it will make things a lot better in the long run. Right away with the alpha transparency I can make much more attractive menus.

p_p…I still don't see the miracles of CSDE...well, if you're using CSDE, you don't need that bottom bar thingy at all...seems like a waste of space with dx8.

Just remember it uses no controls.

Thanks! I might change the chat a bit and some of the transparency is awkward like Skull Kid mentioned, but that's because it's a mockup. When they're actually put into the game the bars at the top will be solid and everything will look a bit better.

It does look quite good, especially with the alpha blending.
Text is much nicer now, and it all really sticks out.
I like the old, textured feel of it.
Like Burned Paper or something.

However, the Chat Box is really quite akward.
It's just an inner shadow on a sepia box. :(
I'd suggest making a nice border for it, and then darken all the ends.

Anyway, everything else looks good and functional. :D

Haven't been checking around, but when I saw this, my jaw dropped. Very nice looking!!! Can't wait to mess around with it when the client is updated! As far as appearance, everything is top notch. If this hasn't been planned, may I suggest maybe a "hover feature" when you place your mouse over the health, spirit, and exp bars to actually tell you the fraction of completion for each. It would be nice to have the option to know exactly how much more exp is needed to level up, and stuff like that ;)

If you already have something like that in mind, forget everything I just said. Haha.