Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rush 2D Platformer

Justin Knight

My friend had this idea for a game where the main character had human limitations such as not being able to jump like mario or run like sonic. I thought it was a bad idea but I went and made a demo anyway just to make him happy.
Download it and tell me what you think.

[http://www.mediafire.com/?4e2m1dohaq5fe6r](http://www.mediafire.com/?4e2m1dohaq5fe6r)
Sorry about the file host, I couldn't get eclipse image host to work.

Controls:
left and right keys to move
X to jump
Z to shoot
F4 to switch between full and windowed
esc to quit
W to skip to next level (for debugging)

For a game called Rush, it sure feels rushed.
(The game's development I mean).

The majority of my time is spent sitting around waiting for my stamina to rebuild. The game-play is not fluid enough. It's better than what most users here could ever create, but it needs some serious reworking.

The first boss/mini-boss battle was a joke. All I had to do was stand as close as possible to him and hold 'Z'. You should make it some you can't just hold jump or shoot and either action will just spam itself.

tl;dr:

I liked the idea.
    Fix the stamina.
        No more spamming of buttons.

@MrMiguu:

> For a game called Rush, it sure feels rushed.
> (The game's development I mean).
>
> The majority of my time is spent sitting around waiting for my stamina to rebuild. The game-play is not fluid enough. It's better than what most users here could ever create, but it needs some serious reworking.
>
> The first boss/mini-boss battle was a joke. All I had to do was stand as close as possible to him and hold 'Z'. You should make it some you can't just hold jump or shoot and either action will just spam itself.
>
> __________________________________________________________
>
> tl;dr:
>
> I liked the idea.
>     Fix the stamina.
>         No more spamming of buttons.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll make the stamina recharge faster and limit the buttons like you said. The boss is lame I know. I didn't make any plans to keep him that way XD

@[SB:

> knightkid123 link=topic=74539.msg799630#msg799630 date=1313442150]
> Thanks for the reply. I think I'll make the stamina recharge faster and limit the buttons like you said. The boss is lame I know. I didn't make any plans to keep him that way XD

One last thing:

I wasn't too crazy about not being able to clear a 1-block tall jump with no stamina. It would work out better if you didn't always have **no stamina**. You could just alter the stamina to drain when running; distinguish between walking and running with a _running button_.

@дядя:

> Miguu, why does your avatar look like a frame taken from one of those Jay Naylor furfagg hentais?

It may look like it but it was actually taken from his PG comic: **Original Life**.

Hey that was fun to play. The stamina recharge thing was a bit slow. And the fact that everybody had a machine gun. I personally would create it with sword play. It would make the game funner in my view. Well made. It was hard for me to stop playing. :D Keep it up.

@[SB:

> knightkid123 link=topic=74539.msg800006#msg800006 date=1313532250]
> I used Game Maker Language. I know Game Maker's lame but I've been using it for so long I've learned to make very good looking games in short amounts of time.

That's excellent, man. Where did you pick up the music from?

"I'm a guy, randomly in a forest. I get tired in 3 seconds, can't jump over oddly placed blocks, (the forest is MADE of blocks) , I have a magic gun that never runs out of bullets, and shoots 99 bullets a second. I kill random ninja's that look like me ez, and I also kill giant robots that shoot laser beams out of their eyes. Oh, and some catchy music plays while I do so."

@soniciscool3456:

> "I'm a guy, randomly in a forest. I get tired in 3 seconds, can't jump over oddly placed blocks, (the forest is MADE of blocks) , I have a magic gun that never runs out of bullets, and shoots 99 bullets a second. I kill random ninja's that look like me ez, and I also kill giant robots that shoot laser beams out of their eyes. Oh, and some catchy music plays while I do so."

Story. Of. My. Life.