Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This has been bothering me for quite sometime now….

viciousdead

@Aeri:

> Why does everyone hate Interweb Explorer?

Did you even read this topic? It broke perfectly good, standard compliance code.

@Robin:

> Yeah, no. If someone is using IE9 then I don't want to have to listen to their bullshit in the shoutbox.

Although I agree that most IE users really don't know much about computers, some public computers only have IE installed. It's not fair to assume everybody's on their home desktop all the time.

@Soul:

> Although I agree that most IE users really don't know much about computers, some public computers only have IE installed. It's not fair to assume everybody's on their home desktop all the time.

Then they shouldn't have a problem hitting the compatibility button.

I'm with Robin on this, screw the IE users; we shouldn't have to take the extra step (not matter how small) just because Microsoft doesn't know how to conform to standards.

EDIT: And whenever I'm at college, I have to switch to compatibility mode, since all they have is IE9, and I don't feel like putting Firefox on a usb stick
(it's bad enough I have to go into the "International" settings and change my keyboard layout to dvorak every time I log in)

>just because Microsoft doesn't know how to conform to standards

Although true, that comment is out of context. outerHTML (the line it errors on) isn't standard itself (it was introduced by Microsoft, along with the more popular innerHTML). No browser even gotten close to doing the standard. It's impossible with browser wars going on. If you suggest we just screw users every time we get an error we'll end up with nobody at all.

[Am I the only one who finds that MSIE can't conform to its own standards hilarious?]

@Soul:

> If you suggest we just screw users every time we get an error we'll end up with nobody at all.

I'm suggesting we just screw IE9 users every time there is an error for them; if anything, we'd end up with no IE9 users, or more new people switching to Firefox, Chrome, et al. after posting a topic such as this one.

In school, I'm currently using this [pointless] SAM Learning Software; it's a browser-based teaching software for my Excel class: http://sam2010.course.com/
On that website, they have a side article when you log in, teaching users how to switch to Compatibility Mode in Internet Explorer, otherwise the grading system will not work.
So before classe, we have to go into the properties in IE9, and set compatibility mode for course.com.

My previous school had Microsoft Windows with Mozilla Firefox installed on every single computer at the domain.

My university has Microsoft Windows with Mozilla Firefox installed on the computers where GNU/Linux isn't installed, and people are complaining about the prior.

Why are people still using Microsoft Internet Explorer, whilst dealing with a subject related to computer science? Change your habit, or go do something else, where that ignorance can be accepted (e.g. pharmaceutics).

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@Admiral:

> I'm suggesting we just screw IE9 users every time there is an error for them; if anything, we'd end up with no IE9 users, or more new people switching to Firefox, Chrome, et al. after posting a topic such as this one.

1/5 of users here use Internet Explorer. People are more than happy to just flick on compatibility mode for a site than they are to change browsers. Why all the bias against IE9 users? With the same argument I can say we stop supporting every browser for the same reason: none of them conform to standards.

If you look at the shoutbox code, it does about 30 checks for browsers to find out which one is being used, and adjusts appropriately. The hard part about being a webdesigner isn't making code, it's making code that works everywhere.

To be quite honest I could care less whether we force users to switch from Internet Explorer, but I don't feel any compelling reason to do so.