Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chair

Kusy

I'm getting around 3D modeling, this is an effect of following a basic tutorial on the most simple polygon actions in Maya. Just felt like sharing

![](http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/kusygames/chair.jpg?t=)

I'm told that Maya is better than blender (obviously), but do you think that As long as youre not incompetent, and able to model really well in blender, that you aren't then missing out on Maya? I am undecided on whether or not to purchase maya then learn it instead.

@Nickolai:

> I'm told that Maya is better than blender (obviously), but do you think that As long as youre not incompetent, and able to model really well in blender, that you aren't then missing out on Maya? I am undecided on whether or not to purchase maya then learn it instead.

Get 3Ds Max, instead. Possibly the best, though it does retail for at least £3400\. If you need to learn it beforehand, you can just use the free educational version. It's the full software, The only drawbck being you can't sell what you make, but for getting used to it that doesn't matter.

Back on topic, it looks alright. What program are you going to use to texture it, or will you just leave it as is?

Both Maya and 3Ds Max have a price of exactly $3,495.00\. Those are not programs you buy for your own use, those are programs you use when you work for someone who bought it. As Bonk said, you can get the educational software if your school is participating in Autodesk program or try pirating it.

While 3Ds Max is the more popular tool they both have similar potential and both are retailed by Autodesk, really - depends on what you learn to use better. Maya is superior when it comes to animation, 3Ds is better with modeling itself but it doesn't mean you can't do things it can do with Maya as far as I'm concerned.
Another thing is - if you learn one 3D modeling program, you already have a head start when working with another, context menus are usually the same or similar, then it's a matter of a good teacher or good tutorials.

I'm using Maya because that's what we are using on university right now and I have a really good teacher there, plus I found some nice basic tuts. Interface is friendly, the program cuts in for what I want to do for the moment.

I'm not going to texture it, it's a basic poly tutorial, I'm not going to dwell on it any longer than I have to, in order to move to the next one, when there's a tutorial on texturing stuff, I will texture stuff. Point is, I'm trying to do things in the right order… sure, I found a tutorial that's clear and easy enough that by following it I could make a high-poly, skeletal animated human body... but in the end... that gives me shit because I can't build a basic shape out of cubes.

Like that Blender tutorial about making a body from cubes. It's essentially useless but gives you the feeling you did something awesome - because the final model looks decent.