Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thinking of rebooting an old idea

DrNova

Been tempted to try to make [http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,14994.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,14994.0.html) work out again.

However I'd need to find people to help me, since I have no coding, though I am pretty impressed with the available "cut and paste" codes in the tutorials section.

However, looking for feedback.

Do you think the link above is a interesting idea from a players perspective

Do you think I can start a healthy core game from the collection of cut and paste code untill I can learn/find a team member/hire someone who can code

Do you (insert qustions I cant think of right now)

-edit- Cant believe that was 4 years ago. Wish the screenies were still up

@DrNova:

> Do you think I can start a healthy core game from the collection of cut and paste code untill I can learn/find a team member/hire someone who can code

Yes, to an extent. From solely cut and paste you can get a decent base for a game, but without scripted bosses and scripted rooms(Scripted as in having a script, not necessarily written in a scripting language.) you will have a bland game. I suggest you learn enough coding to work with something like Lightning's Boss System, then you might be able to pull it off.

As long as you work on all of your ideas, compile them, and even just start on some things you have the ability to work on (Sprites, or tilesets, GUI, story, etc). there's no reason why an old flame can't be rekindled.

For my own game it's just me myself and I, however I have compiled a treasure trove of ideas, even if it's just on paper for now, with a collection of graphics and custom sprites I plan to use, it's still a starting point.

If you manage to get all the basics together (Classes, zones, map, spells, story, lore, etc.), you should have no problem getting a team together, seeing as they'd see you have initiative, and a nice starting point.

Your ideas look pretty solid, stick with them and see the project through :)

@DrNova:

> Do you think the link above is a interesting idea from a players perspective?

Good old "Good Race" and "Evil Race"  is pretty much acceptable, in my opinion.

@DrNova:

> Do you think I can start a healthy core game from the collection of cut and paste code until I can learn/find a team member/hire someone who can code?

Well, yes. Absolutely. There are a bunch of tutorials, ranging from Lightning's Boss Framework to Alatar's Quest System. And, in the process of adding such into your game's source-code, you'll eventually get to understand VB6's language, and then, edit the source-code to your likes.