• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First time on building a PC

Exvayate

Here's the link:
http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCartPrintVersion.aspx

Not sure if it works lol. If not check out the attachment below

This is my first time building a PC and I'd like to know if can there are anyways I can build it for cheaper.

My limit is $600 USD. Maybe $650 USD.

Right now I have $300 and I'm definately getting the monitor, case, speakers, and a keyboard/mouse. (The motherboard is a MUST have for me.)

Stuff like the hard drive, graphics card, power supply, is what I'll need help with getting the right part and ways to get them cheaper.

Other than that, let me know if I should get something different or if there is anything wrong with the build.

Thanks in advance! :D

…did you just link us to your personal shopping cart?

You don't know how the internet works, do you? xD

Also; Don't buy a case for $70\. That's plain stupid. Only children and magpies are impressed by cheap flashing lights. Get a budget case for like $10\. That's what I did. Spend the money you save on hardware which actually matters.

@Jungle:

> It really depends what you're using it for exactly. Can you tell us what you plan to do with it?

Purely made for gaming (being able to play games on the highest quality graphics), a little bit of 3D rendering. I have a copy of FL Studios 9 for music production and I plan on making videos on this pc as well.

EDIT: I'm considering on making it an AMD based PC, since AMD is like $100+ less than an Intel bases PC. But hey, with an Intel PC you get a lot for what you've paid for from what I've heard.

@Exvayate:

> Purely made for gaming (being able to play games on the highest quality graphics), a little bit of 3D rendering. I have a copy of FL Studios 9 for music production and I plan on making videos on this pc as well.

Half your RAM and ditch the case. Games are purely CPU/GPU/HDD based.

@Exvayate:

> with an Intel PC you get a lot for what you've paid for from what I've heard.

Where did you hear that?

Go with AMD, they're great. Intel is just a company name really, i'm pretty sure AMD works just as well. Also, the ram is fine, if you don't get it now you'll probably end up getting it later. A cheaper case might be a good idea. Though, the cheaper you go and the worse airflow/quality you get. This case is really amazing, if you're interested:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197

I fully recommend it.

@Exvayate:

> I have a copy of FL Studios 9 for music production

Uh… you know that you don't need a good audio card for that, right? You're supposed to buy an audio interface which costs $200, but is better than getting some audio card that will never produce near the quality that an audio interface does.

The one thing you should get is a good sound system. That should be purchased completely separate from your computer because an exceptional one will usually range from $500 - $2000\. Of course, there's always Ebay.

tl;dr Music production is expensive so don't go and waste your money and time on it til you know you're dedicated.

@Jungle:

> Uh… you know that you don't need a good audio card for that, right? You're supposed to buy an audio interface which costs $200, but is better than getting some audio card that will never produce near the quality that an audio interface does.
>
> The one thing you should get is a good sound system. That should be purchased completely separate from your computer because an exceptional one will usually range from $500 - $2000\. Of course, there's always Ebay.
>
> tl;dr Music production is expensive so don't go and waste your money and time on it til you know you're dedicated.

Well a system isn't really the case. Sometimes with the extra plugins and modifiers, they take up a LOT of a ram, so just previewing some sounds you've created can really lag your PC. As of now I have 3GB of RAM and have like 3 plugins lag me a bit.

And yes I know you don't need anything special just to play sound. :P

@Frostyy:

> Are you sure that it isn't your CPU lagging? I can't see how FL studios with some plug ins can need more than three gigs of ram.

Err.. Hell if I knew. I've never had anything better than the current laptop I have. Which is a hand-me-down from my technology-illiterate dad.

I have FL Studio and a shitty laptop with 1.5GB of RAM and it runs fine unless I use a ton of DblueGlitch VSTs.

@Exvayate:

> Err.. Hell if I knew. I've never had anything better than the current laptop I have. Which is a hand-me-down from my technology-illiterate dad.

You have a better laptop than me and mine runs FL faster… I think this goes beyond the hardware.

@Exvayate:

> What's wrong with it?
> Can't just tell me no without giving me a reason haha, otherwise I'll just have to disagree. xD

Intel is like, the Microsoft of computer hardware. It's expensive and a piece of crap.

For example:

Admiral's old AMD PC 512 MiB RAM, single core, executes _faster_ than his more recent dual-core Intel. 2 GiB RAM.

I mean, if you prefer Intel, go for it. But when your motherboard overheats like crazy because you played Minecraft or some other resource heavy game for more than 2 hours, you'll probably kill the processor yourself.

However, Asus motherboard, was about the only good thing I seen on that list. Just because a company is more famous than another, doesn't mean it's better.

@Toshiro:

> However, Asus motherboard, was about the only good thing I seen on that list. Just because a company is more famous than another, doesn't mean it's better.

But benchmarks mean that one is better than another and since the second generation of i3, i5 etc. amd doesn't even have a chance to get good results in benchmarks compared to the intel chips… Also the Optimus-technology in intel chips allows better energy-savings. MY personal experience with amd is that they mislead their customers with big ghz-counts but low performance-levels because their architecture just isn't good enough.  Even the newest amd processor with 8 cores (lol) is worse than the i7-series.

@Sealbreaker:

> But benchmarks mean that one is better than another and since the second generation of i3, i5 etc. amd doesn't even have a chance to get good results in benchmarks compared to the intel chips… Also the Optimus-technology in intel chips allows better energy-savings. MY personal experience with amd is that they mislead their customers with big ghz-counts but low performance-levels because their architecture just isn't good enough.  Even the newest amd processor with 8 cores (lol) is worse than the i7-series.

The majority of benchmarks are biased towards Intel because of marketing and because most benchmarks use the Intel compiler, which treats all AMD and VIA processors like limited Intel processors. Also, you do know the entire x86-64 architecture is designed by AMD, because Intel failed miserably when designing EM64T?

As for energy usage: AMD actually has better mobile processors for that: AMD Zacate, unless you consider the Intel i3 or i5 to be mobile processors (please, don't make me laugh). We all know the Intel Atom is the worst modern processor design currently present. On top of that, if you really do care about energy usage, you should be using ARM processors (preferably Cortex A9 or Cortex A15).

Also, AMD didn't make the stupid mistake of using SMT, instead they actually bother to add actual cores that have a far better performance than SMT ever will have. ARM already has made claims that a quad-core without SMT is both faster and wastes less energy than a single-core processor with four hardware threads.

@Frostyy:

> Are you sure that it isn't your CPU lagging? I can't see how FL studios with some plug ins can need more than three gigs of ram.

RAM is factors slower than any CPU currently present on the desktop market, with the exception of the Intel Atom (where your processor is designed poorly enough to compromise the performance of RAM). High clock rates lead to energy waste: heat and spending time executing useless processor cycles [hence why Intel stopped designing Pentium processors, the 7GHz is totally not worth it and hence why AMD uses clock rate steps (e.g. my AMD Athlon II generally runs at 800MHz instead of 3GHz]. You want parallelism: multiple cores clocked at fairly low rates (about 1.6GHz) with SIMD optimisation.

@Exvayate:

> Purely made for gaming (being able to play games on the highest quality graphics), a little bit of 3D rendering. I have a copy of FL Studios 9 for music production and I plan on making videos on this pc as well.

You don't need more than 4 GiB DDR3 1.6GHz RAM, AMD Athlon II 640 3GHz (or whatever the Intel equivalent would be of that processor, preferably something without SMT, or what Intel would call HTT), etc. What you really should care about is your GPU. Get the best you can afford, and stop caring about anything else.

Yours faithfully,
  Stephan.