Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tips on game creation

Resaberus

First off I have absolutely no idea how to create an mmo or how to use this particular engine and I'm not gonna pretend I know what any of these ideas would cost me in realistic terms for creating this. SO! Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna tell you the main idea of what kind of project I plan to make.

The idea I have here is generally a sandbox action mmo with an immersible world where things are player created and fluid so people can continue playing the game as well as make what they like, create factions, wage wars to conquer lands and immerse in a world of trade and economy with actions that could influence the world around a person and such.

Question I have is this within the point of realism and possibility and how can it be accomplished.

Spend a few years doing something which wouldn't require so much damn work. Once you've developed the skills to actually realise these grand plans of yours then you should cut out all the shit and get something out which can be developed over time.

hmmmm good idea. perhaps some examples of said simplicity. Again I'm just spitballing what I'd "like" to create not what I probably can create within ten seconds or less. I need an understanding into how and why. For instance what are prime factors that determine whether or not something can be accomplished.

@Resaberus:

> Question I have is this within the point of realism and possibility and how can it be accomplished.

Well, Anyone can have the idea to make a game, if its 2D, or 3D, sandbox, fantasy, steampunk, or FPS. It's pretty clear everyone here would like to, or is in the process of making a game, or has already. It's really a matter of having the initiative and drive to _finish_ it.

Do you have coding skills? Do you know someone who does? That's a pretty big prime factor of if something can be done or not. It sounds like you may want something a little different from the games we've seen on here, perhaps far more custom, thus creating your own tiles and sprites.

Are you good with graphics? Pixel design? GUI design? Or once again do you know someone who is? Will they be willing to work with you?

What would this cost you….most certainly a lot of time and patience. The bigger the game, the more unique and out-of-the-box, and the more you sway away from the usual games found here (and other sites too no doubt, just usuing this forum as an example), the longer you'll be developing it, and the greater the chance you'll grow bored and weary of it before it's finished.