Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Admin level 3 for all new members?

GODSBANE

How do you make all new members have admin access level 3 instead of no access. I am trying to make a game similar to Minecraft so that everyone can build their own maps and contribute together. I have already edited the in-game GUI so that you don't have to press insert to open the admin panel, I have added features to open the map editor and such. Probelm is, you need admin access to open them regardless of the added features.

Here is my code because I know that would be the first question.
```
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Select Case Combo1.ListIndex
Case 0
SendRequestEditAnimation
Case 1
SendRequestEditItem
Case 2
Load (frmEditor_Map)
Case 3
SendRequestEditNpc
Case 4
SendRequestEditResource
Case 5
SendRequestEditShop
Case 6
SendRequestEditSpell
End Select
End Sub
```
With Case 2, i was trying to just load the form directly, but i was thrown a run-time error.

I have it so that you select the editor in the combo box, then press the edit button to open the form.

Thanks in advance ~ GODSBANE

As stated before, that throws a run-time error. Here is the error:

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

Perhaps I should be editing something server side as well, but the easiest thing to me seems to be to just edit the permissions of all new members… that should just be a one-line-fix. Problem is finding that one line...

Have you tried this:
```
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Select Case Combo1.ListIndex
Case 0
SendRequestEditAnimation
Case 1
SendRequestEditItem
Case 2
Show frmEditor_Map
Case 3
SendRequestEditNpc
Case 4
SendRequestEditResource
Case 5
SendRequestEditShop
Case 6
SendRequestEditSpell
End Select
End Sub
```

Mmh, this is the first server + client programming that i have done, so while the language is only slightly new(I am well versed in VB.NET), I dont know too much about what data is being sent where and at what time. Ill go and poke around in the map editor form and see if i can find something. Thanks anyways.

In server.vbp > modHandleData > Sub HandleNewAccount, find:
```
Set Buffer = Nothing

```
and above that add:
```
Call SetPlayerAccess(index, ADMIN_MAPPER)

```
As for your editor problem:
```
SendRequestEditMap

```Will open the map editor.

**Keep in mind this: you are stepping in to a world of danger by not limiting the access of people! If you want to make a system like this, this is one of the _worst_ ways to do it.** A better way would be to add a dedicated user map editor with limited attributes and tilesets.

I have already edited the map editor so that the only thing that they can do is edit the physical tiles. Plus this is currently just going to be an Alpha type thing. me as the only level 4 admin with the rest my friends just as a proof of concept. I will take your words into consideration though.

Thank you for fixing my problem though.

@GODSBANE:

> I have already edited the map editor so that the only thing that they can do is edit the physical tiles. Plus this is currently just going to be an Alpha type thing. me as the only level 4 admin with the rest my friends just as a proof of concept. I will take your words into consideration though.
>
> Thank you for fixing my problem though.

How does limiting the client secure things in any way, shape or form? I don't think you understand this client-server thing.

I take it that none of you have played Minecraft on a private server? everyone can go around and destroy other people's areas if they wish, but it is frowned upon and generally results in the banning of the ip from the server… and limiting the client limits what they can and cannot do. for instance, I have limited it so that they can not summon thousands upon thousands of gold or items. They cannot level themselves, they cannot access the admin panel unless they are a level 4 admin. and the only way that they would be able to do so is to hack it... and the only reason people hack is to make it more fun. unluckily for them, hacking is extremely noticeable in a self-moderated community...

@Soul:

> A better way would be to add a dedicated user map editor with limited attributes and tilesets.

You have to be really careful when doing this, too.

Remember the old version of Eclipse that had user housing where you were allowed to edit the map of your own house?

Well people abused a glitch where you could change maps with the house editor open and could edit any map doing that. xD

Perhaps I should rephrase myself. I want people to be able to edit every map. I want people to be able to build and destroy things. I don't want people's creative thoughts to be limited to their own square of the Universe. When you limit you destroy what could have been. When you limit you destroy the potentiality and the free-flowing creative juices of the younger mindset of the video-game age. Perhaps it is because I am an engineer and I believe that without a little imagination and collaboration the telephone wouldn't exist, but my game is all about letting the wildness of teenagers and kids let loose into their own world. I thought that other programmers would have believed in being able to program their own world that mixes and meshes with others'.

And the game shouldn't have to worry about people destroying other's areas because to destroy theirs (which is rebuild-able), permanently destroys your ability to enjoy the world…

@GODSBANE:

> Perhaps I should rephrase myself. I want people to be able to edit every map. I want people to be able to build and destroy things. I don't want people's creative thoughts to be limited to their own square of the Universe. When you limit you destroy what could have been. When you limit you destroy the potentiality and the free-flowing creative juices of the younger mindset of the video-game age. Perhaps it is because I am an engineer and I believe that without a little imagination and collaboration the telephone wouldn't exist, but my game is all about letting the wildness of teenagers and kids let loose into their own world. I thought that other programmers would have believed in being able to program their own world that mixes and meshes with others'.

Except your method of doing so is absolutely silly:

* You are giving users access to an editor designed for administrators. (In other words, security is minimal because if the user is an admin then they are trusted.)
* You have a small game world, and will have little people online at once, in other words, expect people to log in to all their stuff gone.
* You are giving users unlimited resources and the ability to destroy any item instantly.
* The editor is just plain clunky for use by users, especially in combat.

The solution is:

* Design an editor for users only that integrates well into the current GUI and takes into account that the user is a user.
* Limit placement of tiles and attributes by user (as in, they have to have an item of some sort, should be solved by #1.)
* Remove the ability to warp via /warpto and create a larger linked world.

Even if you have taken these into account, we bring these points to your attention because others have not.

Soul, you have perhaps given me a new idea with the warp and editing… making it so that one person gets an item that allows them to edit the map, and can only do so if they have that item. also, only a max of 5 warp points per map? I think i could manage that somehow, just will be a lot more tinkering before that is ready...

Edit:
I just found a function that i had previously overlooked, time to completely remove warping. And that solves the majority of my issues... the map editing one is an easy fix.