Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

XML Auto Updater

deathtaker26

I know Robin already released a very nice Auto Updater for eclipse Origins, but unfortunately not all webservers can share .ini files. This is because .ini files are sometimes used by webservers to set specific settings. Therefore, the webserver will not allow a client (Such as the AutoUpdater) to download the .ini file.
  My solution to this, Make a .xml based Auto Updater. You can download the source code and the file as an attachment. The Program is written in C# .net and can be edited using Microsoft Visual C# 2010 express. If you need an XML tutorial please, let me know.

Please report all bugs to me and tell me if it worked or failed and on the operating system you used the program on.

Current Features
~Reads xml files
~creates temporary files for information to be stored
~Downloads from any http file

Features planned ahead:
~Extract files from zip archive
~Extract files from rar archive

Yes, I know this a double post but I'm posting a tutorial plugin for this here and to keep that clean im posting in a new reply:

This plugin allows you to autolaunch a program, and you can always change the file location through the server to set different files after things load incase you add more things to you're updates that you want to run before you run eclipse.

> Okay, so this is the Auto-Launch plugin for the soulz updater, Just add the code to the source code where instructed and compile using microsoft visual C# express and the build will be created.
> First find this code in the read temp void:
> ```
>                     if ((reader.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) && reader.Name == "Update")
>                     {
>                         if (reader.HasAttributes)
>                         {
>                             update_version = reader.GetAttribute("Version");
>                             addStatus("Update Versions: " + update_version);
>
>                         }
>                     }
>
> ```
> and under that add this (make sure this is still in the while(reader.read section but out side the if(reader.nodetype))
> ```
> //for auto Launch Plugin
>                     if ((reader.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) && reader.Name == "Auto")
>                     {
>                         if (reader.HasAttributes)
>                         {
>
>                             if (reader.GetAttribute("Launch") == "true")
>                             {
>                                 Launch_File = reader.GetAttribute("file");
>                                 Auto_Launch = true;
>                             }
>                             else
>                             {
>                                 Auto_Launch = false;
>                             }
>                         }
>                         //end auto Launch Plugin
>
> ```than, add this code above deleteTemp(); in you're private void btnExit_click
> ```
>             //begin auto Launch Plugin
>             if (Auto_Launch == true)
>             {
>                 try
>                 {
>                     System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(Launch_File);
>                 }
>                 catch
>                 {
>                     MessageBox.Show("The update was successful, but the auto-start proccess couldn't be found.");
>                 }
>             }
>             //end auto-launch plugin
>
> ```
>
> Now, in you're server file, update.xml add this line under ```
>
> ```
> Rename the file="Eclipse.exe" part of that to be file="yourfilenamehere.exe" This allows you to remotely change the user's autostart program at any given time through the server as well!

Why release something thats no use? Seriously all it can do right now is download an xml file…. It doesn't even install or unzip any files that it downloads.... I'm sorry but before you release something such as an updater make sure it actually has the ability to update the game/program and not just the xml files.

@crzy ass it does, it reads information from the downloaded xml file (the one on the server) that xml file tells the updater what else to grab from the web server while the program is active, than updates the version information and deletes the temporary xml file, it will download what ever you tell it to. It doesn't extract anything no, this is because I want to make my own library to do this instead of using another person's library. since windows doesn't have a built in library.

However the program currently downloads 1 file/update, the new updater plugin im making allows ftp download which can download an entire ftp directory of files.

I see. Maybe you should make that clear in your source code with comments and in your first post. From what i know about downloading things in C# it looked like all it did was download an xml file and thats it. You need to explain your software better and put comments in your source….. Download any open source and you will have comments. Comments maybe shitty but atleast it explains what the method does atleast.

Why would i want to actually run when the industry standard is to have comments to explain the methods or explain your program good enough people understand. How you explain it inyour first post it sounded like you took Robins updater and put it in .NET…

/down... damn kids annoy me...

The source wasn't inteaded for people to just jump in and learn stuff to it, was was put in case someone wants to make simple modifications to it. T_T And questions people have about parts of source I answer to them through forums and email. I don't have the slightest clue what you mean, and I don't think even you have the slightest clue of what you mean by "Industry Standard" there is no "Industry standard" to releasing source, especially if the program is freeware.

Also, you should know I'm no kid I'm 17 and you annoy me just as much as I annoy you, so let's just agree to disagree here T_T

Your are a kid. Anyone younger by 5 yrs to me is a kid. so get use to getting called a kid. The Industry standard is something you will learn. Its taught in almost any high level programming class. As for the industry standards on comments its more of being a considerate programmer. Those who don't put comments are usually idiots.

Have a fun read kid…

http://class.ee.iastate.edu/cpre211/labs/commenting_guide.html

Never said i was using them…. I made a suggestion... Don't like how i made a suggestion. then don't respond... Show that "program" to any programmer for a REAL company and they would laugh at you. Been there dont that. Hence i comment everything know. or at least try to... I lost an internship over comments. A lot of companies require it... Just letting you know so when you get into the real business not no what ever you have going.

@Captain:

> When I was 12 I was doing that. In fact I was ten when I started. You're just thinking of your own past.

past being the keyword bro…

omfg fine, you win I'll release a completely commented source just to get you 3 to shut up for christ sakes T_T I'll do it completely edited on my next release which uses the same concept only for FTP servers instead of HTTP servers... There go crazy...

Comments and recognizable keywords are important and pushed by the industry. With that said Crest was nice enough to release a product to the community. Whether he has made the code with comments or not is completely up to him. We are not a professional market here.