Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Black March

*Sigh*

This isn't going to work, methinks. People won't stop buying newspapers on a morning, and sine most of Anon are just teenagers, I doubt they buy them in the first place. Music isn't downloaded legally 99% of the time, and if it is an illegal download, they're hurting their own side. No-one legally buys software, games or films anymore, and cinemas charge ridiculous amounts so no-one goes to them anyway. Then there's books. No-one buys books.

I can't see this getting off the ground.

@Rainbow:

> *Sigh*
>
> This isn't going to work, methinks. People won't stop buying newspapers on a morning, and sine most of Anon are just teenagers, I doubt they buy them in the first place. Music isn't downloaded legally 99% of the time, and if it is an illegal download, they're hurting their own side. No-one legally buys software, games or films anymore, and cinemas charge ridiculous amounts so no-one goes to them anyway. Then there's books. No-one buys books.
>
> I can't see this getting off the ground.

Stop confusing the white, middle-class American teenager demographic with the rest of the world. The majority of people buy software, music, films and books. If not there wouldn't be a market.

Technology is still seen as wiccan magjicks to the majority of people, especially the older generations. Most people have no idea how to torrent or usenet.

This silly thing won't work simply because anonymous are so damn tiny.

@Robin:

> Stop confusing the white, middle-class American teenager demographic with the rest of the world. The majority of people buy software, music, films and books. If not there wouldn't be a market.
>
> Technology is still seen as wiccan magjicks to the majority of people, especially the older generations. Most people have no idea how to torrent or usenet.
>
> This silly thing won't work simply because anonymous are so damn tiny.

Nobody I know buys software, music films and the like except mostly for me. My father doesn't buy it either and he's a bit technologically retarded.

And I'm not American, either, so I wouldn't know about them, but I doubt 80% legitimately buy software, especially at the prices you have to pay for most decent stuff.

@Rainbow:

> Nobody I know buys software, music films and the like except mostly for me. My father doesn't buy it either and he's a bit technologically retarded.
>
> And I'm not American, either, so I wouldn't know about them, but I doubt 80% legitimately buy software, especially at the prices you have to pay for most decent stuff.

Imagine how stupid the average person is. Now realise half the population is even more stupid than that.

Using your immediate family as an example for the entire world's population is very, very silly.

@Robin:

> Imagine how stupid the average person is. Now realise half the population is even more stupid than that.
>
> Using your immediate family as an example for the entire world's population is very, very silly.

I never said 'ZOMGZ MAH FAMILI IZ JUS LIKE DA REST OV DA WERLD.'

I used my technologically impaired father to prove a point about how simple it is to torrent or pirate media. And when I say technologically impaired, he doesn't even know how to save MS Word documents as .doc or .docx files.

And that's because, as you said, plenty of people are stupid. That's why it's so dumbed down and easy to do pretty much anything on a computer these days, including piracy.

Yes, but he has a son who knows enough to be part of a game development community.

Simply being here makes you more technologically competent than 80% of the world's population.

Some people just don't know that torrents exist. Most people still buy DVDs and play them on their TV. Most people still buy physical books rather than e-books. Most people still buy CDs rather than MP3 downloads.

As our generation ages the evolution of buying habits will continue. As long as the baby-boomer generation has the majority of the world's money nothing will change.

@Rainbow:

> No-one legally buys software, games or films anymore, and cinemas charge ridiculous amounts so no-one goes to them anyway. Then there's books. No-one buys books.

Yes they do, the majority still do buy things…
Adult people still buy things as they actually know how hard it can be to make money, its mostly kids and teenagers who pirate stuff as they cant afford shit.. And you don't go to the cinema because you dont have a girlfriend. (lol)

Let's see. My university's courses pretty much enforce me to buy books on almost a monthly base. My friends and I still do visit cinemas occasionally, because it's fun, and some films are worth watching in a cinema (films are about €5 in Belgium). I still do buy games, that is, if they are worth buying. I don't buy music, which has more to do with the kind of music I listen to, rather than the music being present elsewhere for free (I generally don't listen to mainstream music).

I don't see how operation Black March is going to work, and I'm not your Average Joe.

Yours faithfully,
  Stephan.

While there still is a market for music and film, its certainly dying. Particular music; its low file-size and diverse quantity makes it easy and more convenient to download. Few bands make considerable profit from music sales, instead they rely primarily on merch and touring.

Books will remain the norm for many years to come. Although, the latest phase and craze of e-book readers and amazon kindles will eventually take its toll, it's just a matter of time before most novels and textbooks are readily published and available online.

@Kreator:

> While there still is a market for music and film, its certainly dying. Particular music; its low file-size and diverse quantity makes it easy and more convenient to download. Few bands make considerable profit from music sales, instead they rely primarily on merch and touring.

I think that's why electronic music is becoming extremely popular. DJs can tour insanely fast and rack up major bucks at single sessions. Bassnectar makes around 50k each show, although he is at the top of his class.

@Kreator:

> Books will remain the norm for many years to come. Although, the latest phase and craze of e-book readers and amazon kindles will eventually take its toll, it's just a matter of time before most novels and textbooks are readily published and available online.

Not to mention that books will survive for a very long time thanks to the academic world. Most academic books are hard to find on the internet, therefore many people tend to buy them instead of actually bothering searching them and downloading them.

On top of that. Most people don't like reading digital books, thus they generally want printed versions. Considering printing is still considered expensive in a lot of cases, it's actually cheaper the buy the books you want/need.

Yours faithfully,
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> Not to mention that books will survive for a very long time thanks to the academic world. Most academic books are hard to find on the internet, therefore many people tend to buy them instead of actually bothering searching them and downloading them.
>
> On top of that. Most people don't like reading digital books, thus they generally want printed versions. Considering printing is still considered expensive in a lot of cases, it's actually cheaper the buy the books you want/need.
>
> Yours faithfully,
>   Stephan.

Exactly. My goddamn medicine books are overpriced, and American. COINCIDENCE? I think not.

I still prefer paper books because it's easier on my eyes. I have a really short attention span whenever I read anything online, whether it's an article or a full-blown novel. I've never tried an actual iPad or Kindle for reading though, so I can't judge the situation too much.