Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mapping update : A Forest Path

DovahTech

@Rusher:

> Obviously using the Fringe2 on the front trees and Fringe on the trees behind. And it's not a matter of mapping or not, it's obvious that the tree in front of the other should also not be hidden behind the other.

I think he said they were resource trees, so in that case just plan the map according to those trees being on top.

I would suggest to NOT add more trees, as RMXP trees are fairly limited and too much repetition is bad.

But you definitely should add more underbrush and other plant life. Fallen logs, saplings, bushes, weeds, flowers, mushrooms, etc.

Another thing you should consider, is trees, bushes, and other blocking terrain at the edges of maps. You have to make sure to have blocking terrain on the next map over in a corresponding location.

Heh, I don't say this often, so congratulations, lol. I definitely see the improvement in your work. I am shocked actually. Not many people actually take the time to learn more.

However, there is still room for improvement, as there usually is.

Some things to consider:

1\. The path shouldnt just be all solid like that. If its a forest path, grass will have grown over some parts, and the path will also have little strands going off in directions, for reasons unknown.

2\. I know those fallen logs are kind of cool, but I don't know what enterbrain was thinking when making those. They could have at least matched the hue from the live trees. Dead trees don't turn grey, then just sit there and rot. so I would probably ditch those. Thats probably a personal thing though.

3\. Don't use copyrighted materials in your game (which is all of enterbrain's art.. yes, I know, Robin did it… but that doesnt make it ok)

Okay, I just wasn't sure which tiles to use. I'm still looking for a tileset to use permanently. Also, It is slightly meant to look uniform as if you read the storyline  of my game. Distance Online, it will be a piece in a chain of paths meant as a tutorial and the main escape route from the slums. It should be able to take carts and horses ect.

The thing is with stepping, a path isn't worn under a swing after one go. It's worn in after hundreds of goes. So random splotches would be someone stood there and spun in a single circle a couple hundred times. I believe there are tiles on the set you're using for if you wanted to look like someone had dug a hole too btw.