• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Goldminer: An Open Source C++ Game

SawQuart

**Goldminer**
**Primitive Open Source C++ Game**

**Info**
I made this basic game a while ago and decided to make it open source and playable. It is pre-compiled, so just unzip and play. This is the first time I've released a C++ game, so I hope that it will work. If it doesn't, please explain below.

**How to Play**
Use the arrow keys to navigate toward the gold to get points. Avoid hitting the other player to avoid death. If the other player hits the gold before you, you will lose points.

**Controls**
_Arrow keys_ - Up, down, left, right
_Space_ - Speed up (unlimited)
_Shift_ - Slow down

**Screenshot**
![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/e0b4d4186344975aa009515bf1398767.png)

**Download**
[Link](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/920e82752392f7bbcadae338fd18baa0.zip)

**Note**
I am developing a side engine based on some earlier works of this. If anyone finds anything wrong with the code, please let me know. The newer engine has animation and tilesets, so please don't suggest that.

@Grim:

> I suggest tilesets

@Jungletoe:

> The newer engine has animation and tilesets, so please don't suggest that.

Can't tell if trolling or didn't read OP…

Anyways, I'm going to try to add a lot more features during this spring break to practice some new programming techniques I've learned. I think I'll be making a projectile system with ~~bullets~~ arrows.

@Grim:

> just trolling xD

Good. I was concerned about your mental health.

Anyways, if you guys end up playing, please post your high scores. I also think that there is a bug where the enemy can deplete 10+ points in one touch but I haven't been able to pinpoint it. If you guys could figure out when it happens then it would be great (give me info like what direction the enemy AI was moving, etc).

I got to 10 or so and it crashed. I have no clue what happened. I'll have to play again when i get home and see if it crashes there. On this school computer it crashed.

NPC killing closes the application. NVM I re-read the first topic. I'd fix the death to put up a screen that says game over instead of CTD.

@crzy:

> I got to 10 or so and it crashed. I have no clue what happened. I'll have to play again when i get home and see if it crashes there. On this school computer it crashed.
>
> NPC killing closes the application. NVM I re-read the first topic. I'd fix the death to put up a screen that says game over instead of CTD.

Yeah sorry about that. I've been trying to figure out how to make a new window appear. Unfortunately SDL doesn't allow for this to be easy. Since this is an older project, I'm just kind of lazy about fixing that xD

@Jungle:

> Yeah sorry about that. I've been trying to figure out how to make a new window appear. Unfortunately SDL doesn't allow for this to be easy. Since this is an older project, I'm just kind of lazy about fixing that xD

You could just make the application display some text over the map saying game over. Then have it restart. You dont technically need a new window.

@Keebler:

> You could just make the application display some text over the map saying game over. Then have it restart. You dont technically need a new window.

Hmm… I guess that could've worked. Maybe I'll go back an fix it if I get bored today.

@Likestodraw:

> Error:
> SDLSetup.exe - Unable To Locate Component
> This application has failed to start because MSVCP100.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Erm, I had that error too. Does it only happen when you run into an enemy and die?

@Captain:

> Please don't tell me you're using SDL's default renderer.

I was. Now I'm attempting freeglut with OpenGL, so I probably won't be returning to SDL soon, if at all. What's wrong with SDL's renderer?

@Jungle:

> Erm, I had that error too. Does it only happen when you run into an enemy and die?
>
> I was. Now I'm attempting freeglut with OpenGL, so I probably won't be returning to SDL soon, if at all. What's wrong with SDL's renderer?

It's ducking terrible. Use OpenGL. Also; I'd suggest not using glut.
Also your formatting is very inconsistent. I'd be working on brushing it up to make it look nice.

@Captain:

> It's ducking terrible. Use OpenGL. Also; I'd suggest not using glut.
> Also your formatting is very inconsistent. I'd be working on brushing it up to make it look nice.

Ah ok. Thanks for the tips. I wrote this game during different stages of my C++ learning progress, so therefor my organization lacked.

• 2 weeks later...
@Jungle:

> Erm, I had that error too. Does it only happen when you run into an enemy and die?
>
> I was. Now I'm attempting freeglut with OpenGL, so I probably won't be returning to SDL soon, if at all. What's wrong with SDL's renderer?

No, this happens when I try to run the application itself.

@Likestodraw:

> No, this happens when I try to run the application itself.

Hmm odd. I deleted a necessary file when I was trying to trim it down for release and couldn't figure out what I did wrong.

Oh well. I'm moving away from SDL for a while so that I can work more on OpenGL. I won't be returning to this project, although it helped me learn a lot about game logic and functions.