Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saving Xena

Conra

Nope, Rob has things a bit wrong ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) I don't do the art for the game, but Rob knows I do design so must have thought that that was my role in the game. If you check the credits in the game, you'll see I'm the producer. What I basically do is manage the team, make decisions on what has to be changed or added, do testing, design the levels and I hop in whenever there is a feature I need and the developer isn't online. So, I do run a primary role. Marco-Hans is the Executive Producer. He's the MD of Bright Mind Studios and runs the business and financial aspect.

Just wanted to set the record straight. Why is everyone calling me Deward?

Kindest Regards,

Dewa**l**d de Jager

P.S. Updated the OP to prevent any further confusion. Thanks for pointing it out Rob! ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

P.P.S. I would just like to make a note, not start a discussion, about the various roles. Even if I had been a graphics artist, it seems as if everyone suddenly looked down on me. I respect the artists very much and it is a huge privilege for me to be working with these exceptionally talented people. If anything, I would look up to them after seeing those screenshots. I still can't believe that I am a part of something like this.

> Wow this is real awesome ![:D](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png)

Thank you Sacra ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png) I'm glad you like it.

No idea why I was calling you Deward…It was late I guess.

Nice work Dewald, again, I meant nothing by it, glad you clarified the roles a bit, credits for the game itself are no where to be found, maybe once the game launches? I feel better now knowing a bit more about who's behind the game. So now for some Q @ A because I think if you describe how you got started, it may be useful for other people looking to do something similar.

So did Bright Mind approach you?

What have you learned most from the game so far?

How do you find using Stencyl Studio for development rather than code?

> No idea why I was calling you Deward…It was late I guess.
>
> Nice work Dewald, again, I meant nothing by it, glad you clarified the roles a bit, credits for the game itself are no where to be found, maybe once the game launches? I feel better now knowing a bit more about who's behind the game. So now for some Q @ A because I think if you describe how you got started, it may be useful for other people looking to do something similar.
>
> So did Bright Mind approach you?
>
> What have you learned most from the game so far?
>
> How do you find using Stencyl Studio for development rather than code?

The credits are in game; Click the button that looks like an "i" on the main menu sidebar.

As for the questions:

Yes, Bright Mind Studios approached me and offered me the position.

Development is tough. Bugs are irritating. Making games is fun. Few short sentences that sum it all up, but I've really learnt a lot about the industry.

Stencyl was an option at first because it covered the main platforms we wanted to cover and used AS. We then saw how it limited us and are now busy with Unity3D as well as XNA. We still use Stencyl for the current version but the newer version will most probably all be in Unity3D.

Thanks for the questions, and I hope it helps someone else out.

Kindest Regards,

Dewald de Jager

P.S. You said without using code. The current Stencyl project consists mainly of AS code. We were wary of it at first because it looked like child's play, but after a bit more experimentation we saw that it could make a good development tool if used with AS/Obj-C and with our Java back-end.

• 5 months later...