Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Player Variable Names (SkyWyre V9) **RESOLVED**

Diefool

Need help with SkyWyre(latest)… I can edit Switch names fine, but it wont let me rename player Variables.

The VB6 source seems correct, but it's really bugging me and hurting my development time. I have to refer to a spreadsheet for the variable list every time I need to use a PlayerVar in an event.

According to the server source it should also read from Variables.ini in the servers data folder. I have tried to manually add "Variable1Name=Test" and still nothing in the editors listbox.... client source seems legit as well :/

@'Diefool':

> Need help with SkyWyre(latest)… I can edit Switch names fine, but it wont let me rename player Variables.
>
> The VB6 source seems correct, but it's really bugging me and hurting my development time. I have to refer to a spreadsheet for the variable list every time I need to use a PlayerVar in an event.
>
> According to the server source it should also read from Variables.ini in the servers data folder. I have tried to manually add "Variable1Name=Test" and still nothing in the editors listbox.... client source seems legit as well :/

Have you had any progress in this issue? I have the same problem.

@'Irij':

> Are you saying the server isn't reading the variable.ini file correctly?

He is not reading or writing , even changing manulamente the .ini file , after turning on the server it is blank.

There is nothing wrong with the source compared to switches , are the same for each , however the variables do not change .

@'Grilo13':

> Have you had any progress in this issue? I have the same problem.

I am going to look into the source tonight and will reply if I find a solution

@'Irij':

> Are you saying the server isn't reading the variable.ini file correctly?

I am unsure, my brainstorming suggests 1 of the following I need to look into (which will be my project until a solution is found)
  - Server is not reading/writing the file correctly
  - Client is not accepting the variable names correctly to display them, but the server does read properly
  - Client is accepting variable names, just not saving and/or accessing them properly

I do know the following:
  - Manually adding a variable name by editing Variable.ini will not show in client editor
  - Sending a new variable name to the server does not make any change whatsoever to Variable.ini
  - Variables DO WORK PROPERLY, but it is a pain to use them without a naming system

Temporarily have an excel spreadsheet with the variable IDs and their names open while editing the game… It is a pain to have to refer to this spreadsheet instead of using the in-client editor, but works for now. Eclipse leaves a lot of open room on the screen to keep this spreadsheet visible at all times, I just want to improve the editor to work as intended for ease of use and better functionality for multiple developers. Having to keep your spreadsheets of variables synced with other devs would be a pain in the balls.

Found the issue, follow the steps below to fix this issue

Here is the original SkyWyre code:

**CLIENT**
```
Public Const MAX_SWITCHES As Long = 1000
Public Const MAX_VARIABLES As Long = 1000

```
**SERVER**
```
Public Const MAX_SWITCHES As Long = 255
Public Const MAX_VARIABLES As Long = 255

```

see the problem here? It sends/receives player switches and variables all at once instead of seperate functions so it gets the 255 switches just fine, but then expects MORE SWITCHES to be sent from the server. You need the client and server to both have the same number of switches and variables (I upped the server to match the clients 1000, you can set them to anything though as long as both client and server are using the same values for switches and/or variables!)

I would have to test this, but it probably lists a manually added variable to ini file as name for switch 256 on requesting names….not going to test though because I don't care lol.... either way if you need help and dont understand the fix, feel free to reply I want the community to have this info :)

@'SkywardRiver':

> Oh. Carim changed the vari's and switches maxes too lol. Will be fixed next update.

No biggie can't wait to see an update, your revision of the eclipse engine is amazing <3

Any chance of projectiles via spells instead of just weapons? :)