Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Profit?

tervok

right i have looked all over your site and found no were that says i am or am not aloud to make money off games i make useing this progam, so im geussing you dont mind, but i wanted to ask to just get this clear. cos i dont wanna make money out of this and then get a letter saying your trying to sue me lol

. sorry i just found something, it just wanst in a clear place to look, word of advie, may wanna put a link to taht thread on ya home page or something

Ok here is what I know, if you use the engine ok… but, If you use the tilesets, sprites, music, gui, ect... then you can't make profit, all of that YOU have to make or have someone make for you and after that if you want to be REALLY safe, make them sign papers, now, it isn't worth all of that unless you have a great game and plan to make alot of profit.

thing is iv been in the "game makeing industry" for years, but im not a coder im a idealist, im learing c++ but im lazy lol so i cut corners, and so far iv made FPS and 2d platformeres and puzzlers, none are properly finished due to work issues, I.E. i work and dont have enuf time to finish them lol.

also any one know how to make a "member" system, all i came up with was adding another admin rank, but then they would get all the admin stuff like the chat, soooo how do i doo this?

What if the game is free to play, but (And lets all be honest, sometimes running a game 24/7 takes out of pocket) you have custom items, donation items you yourself made, and you charge only for them? (Not a lot of money mind you, just enough to keep the game on it's feet).

-Inception.

The thing is, the GFX that come with Eclipse aren't even allowed to be used with eclipse. They are suposed to be used with RPGMaker XP or something like that. They have a copyright on it, and they could sue you even if you charge $0\. Its probably not going to happen, but they have that right.

Lol, it doesn't matter if not everyone can make 100% custom games. Do you think that the company that made those sprites gives a crap?

If you're going to charge anything for your game (doesn't matter if the items you charge for are custom) they are more likely to sue you.

I'll say this again: even if your game is 100% free, and I do mean 100%, and you're using the RPGXP tiles and sprites, if they wanted to, the creators could sue you. They won't bother for unsuccessful games, but if you have, say, 150 people online at all times ( I know its not possible right now, but lets assume source edits were made), they might send you a letter, saying you're not allowed to use their tiles, and then, if you don't change them, they could sue you.

Conclusion: Don't use RPGXP sprites.

Go on Google, search for tile sets and sprites, and make sure that the artist who created them gives you permision to use them, if you intend to charge anything for your game.

You need to make sure you have your OWN content, not rips.

But if one of the first things you are asking about is if you can make money off your game, **YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!** Eclipse is an easy tool to make small indie games; this market of gaming is important because it deals more with the artistic expression and enjoyment of games. If you want to worry about profits and business, go get a job as a code monkey or QA drone at one of the mainstream game development studios.