Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to keep server running.

gmanrules123

> Wow, isn't this very energy wasting…..?
> I think people should start to be concerned about Global Warming.

Computer in hybernation or changing users = all programs stop as if the computer was off. If you want to run the server, you need to keep your computer on. There is no way around it…

@riseofwar:

> Wow, isn't this very energy wasting…..?
> I think people should start to be concerned about Global Warming.
>
> Also, would it be possible to install the server on a VPS?

Really depends on how the operating system works with ACPI and APM, Windows should disable the RAM, the network card, etc. before it enters sleep mode, which saves energy. If you don't have ACPI and APM support then Windows will just pause the applications and stop sending data to the monitor, which still uses a lot of energy, but that's only the case for Windows 95/98 or so. Besides, you can have the next considerations: turn off your monitor when you don't use it, the monitor uses a lot, when you use it, then be sure that your settings are on cool display, not warm, also tend to use a low brightness.

For global warming, please don't start, because people are not well informed about it actually.

Eclipse could run on a VPS, but some/most of them run Linux normally which doesn't really go together with Eclipse.

@gmanrules123:

> Sorry I ask so many questions. (Im learning!)  :cheesy:
>
> How come every time I switch users or pc goes into sleep, the server shuts down?
>
> How do I keep it up?

Windows disables several devices before going into sleep mode.

@gmanrules123:

> Uh…Im stupid. Whats a VPS?

[Virtual Private Server or Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS).](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server)

Regards,
  The Nameless One.

@riseofwar:

> Anyway to work around it from pausing applications when it goes into sleep?

In the Device Manager you can untick the box "The computer may turn off this device to save energy.". That's for the part of the networking.

But you can't get programs running during sleep mode though.

Regards,
  The Nameless One.

Ummm ok… this is the last thing you asked:

> Anyway to work around it from pausing applications when it goes into sleep?

I thought, you know… whatever.

I would say just get someone to host it for you. I'm sure there are companies willing to do it, if you're willing to pay.

Hello,
To keep the server running all the time you would need a very good server host. The way it works is that every time the window called "server" closes the server goes down. When you put your computer to sleep to cause all programs to basically sleep or stop running too. If the window "server" closes or stops running the server will go down. 
                    **Stupid Server**