Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginning C++

Lenton

I Want to start programming in c++. I have researched the language on the internet and now know a lot about it's background.

I'm still a bit stuck on the tools you need. I know you need a compiler but do you just write the code into notepad??

Could you just please tell me what I need to start?

Thanks.

Notepad is not suggested but you can use it, if you're experienced enough and if you've no other options.

As for IDEs I recommend Code::Blocks as it works on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X (Not completely though).

Other people also use Microsoft Visual C but it doesn't seem to follow the ISO standard.

Dev-Cpp is also a lot of people use but it's kind of getting out-dated and there hasn't been a new version for ages.

Regards,
  Godlord.

They're all three free compiler/IDE-wise mainly. MSVC isn't free though if you want to have a more extended version.

The best in my opinion is Code::Blocks it beats the other IDEs at several points but other may disagree with me.

Code::Blocks is easy to use, cross-platform, can be standard strict, highlighting for Doxygen (commenting style), allows plug-ins, workspaces + projects + files, etc.

When I moved from Dev-Cpp to Code::Blocks, it has amazed me. But there's one feature I really miss and that's being able to download and install packages (SDKs) via a package manager instead of manually.

Yet, it's not hard to do it manually though.

And that I'm promoting Code::Blocks here has its reason and yet I also want to promote the others but if somebody really disagrees with my opinion then he's allowed to fight back for his favourite IDE.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I found code::block really hard to use, so I downloaded Dev and it seems so much simpler.

I have created a code that will bring up a message up on the screen. I compile and run but the window appears and disappears straight away.

How would I get the window to stay or create a window design?

Thanks.

@•RЧĐIИØPHØR•:

> hey thats what i was talking about :@, lol you said its in compatable for dev-c++ :(.

You were talking, as it seemed, about some visual UI editor which is different from the current subject. Also clarification is a must when being a programmer.

Regards,
  Godlord.

As far as the window popping up and then disappearing before you can see the result, if you use code::blocks, it automatically freezes the window until you hit a button. With another IDE, like Dev-C++, you can easily add an input at the end to make sure you can see the results before the window closes. Like:

string myString;
…_your code_…
..._end of program_…
cout << "Press any button to close the program.\n";
cin >> myString;

I am a bit rusty with C++, but that should do it.