Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Downloading another client

Warconn

ok, i am having a little problem with my updater…

everything was going fine except for downloading the client because it is in use, and cannot override a file that is in use.

Do you guys have any idea how i would go about updating the client... i was thinking make a serperate exe, but that would take to long to sync up with the server, and have the parsing go through....

Thanks
Warconn

Uhm. I'm looking this up for you but the only thing I can think of so far is this…

Make a whole new VB application that runs the updating process, that way it can update the client, then after updating, have the source code open client.exe

That good?

it doesn't overwrite?
well try this:

- when it wants to recieve client.exe, use the kill function to delete the original client.exe when download is finished the client will be updated (now be sure that the updater isn't in client.exe :D)

- download the client under another name f.e. Clientx.exe when downloaded, kill client.exe and rename clientX

just some idea's out of my head… might helps you

hmm thats a good idea, i didnt know there was a kill function lol.

ill give that a try, thanks

[edit]

hey this works good, i found the kill command, and it successfully deletes the client, but i still get an error when trying to dl it, not sure what it might be as this never happened when i ran it out of VB6, and now it does. I am going to check some paths and stuff like that, see if it works…

Thanks Again
Warconn

[edit2]

Woot, it works, thanks again TYR you saved the day again  lol  :hello2: