Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it possible to make a non-fantasy game?

Slaynn

I don't think the search function is working. Either that or it's user error, which happens quite often.

Is it possible to use Eclipse to make a non-fantasy oriented game?  I am looking to make a cyberpunk type near future RPG and I have zero programming skills.  I am willing to teach myself a little if needed but if it's going to require tons of coding I will more than likely lose interest.  My goal is to make a fairly uncomplicated game as a hobby so that my kids can play it amongst ourselves on the home network.  They are fans of old SNES RPGs so I thought I might put something together in a couple months of my spare time. 

I do have a VB6 for Dummies book I bought a while ago and could be finally getting some use out of it.

@[NW:

> [CUBE] Sean link=topic=39823.msg387818#msg387818 date=1236108558]
> You don't need much programming to change the style of the game. Just need to change the GFX and sounds really.

And space games or western games may need guns. They'll have to be scripted

So I can change the base stats and things?  Something like make the Magic stat Perception and relate it to ranged weaponry?

I'm sorry for the noob questions but I don't want to spend hours looking into an engine just to find out the most basic things that I would like to accomplish with it not be within my abilities.

EDIT:  Something else I was considering was another equipment set that will be used for cybernetics.  Optical implants, cybernetic arms that add STR etc.  I can manage without doing something like this but it would be a huge plus if I could.

yea its easy but as Dr. nova said obtaining GFX such as guns and modern army type things is pretty dificult and you may have to make some yourself, unless you don't paperdoll then you can use the sprites at the bottom of this.
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt209/dray777/Sprites.jpg

Ok then, thanks for the info.  I will try and track down a copy of VB6 then to see what I can tweak.

I have been reading up on paperdolling and pixel art.  It seems like it is pretty simple.  Just a tedious process of getting everything lined up and squared away.

Who knows?  Maybe if I like it I will work to make something worth sharing with the community.  Time to start lurking the boards and get all of my utilities to get this underway.