Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Massive Multiplayer boards?

Xavi

So, recently, Eclipse has put a board for discussion of large commercial MMOs. Why, though? It seems this forum is moving further away from talking about Eclipse and leaning more toward talking about stuff completely unrelated.

I could see that someone may say "Well Eclipse is an MMO creator, so it's only natural that we talk about mmos". True, but this is being used to organize stuff more having to do with WoW's gameplay, such as making guilds and stuff, that have nothing to do with Eclipse.

I could just be thinking negatively, or maybe I'm missing something, but does anyone agree with me?

I think a lot of people came here for the engine, but stayed because of the community. Because it's easier to just talk here then to get everyone to register someone else, the forums just adapted to be a kind of hangout site for a lot of people with a side focus on the actual engine.
I mean, I don't even really use Eclipse. I just know some of the vets in real life, and the forums sounded fun so I came to hang out.

Well, nice community or not, I think that the main topic should be the Eclipse engine. Besides, if you've looked at the public dev boards, you will see that the posts still have a lot of personality in them.

I am open to the idea, though, of having a seperate forum refrencing to the same account database for just basic everyday chat like this.

@[SB:

> Chakkra link=topic=40464.msg396840#msg396840 date=1236987731]
> I agree.. I never understood why we never talk about eclipse anymore unless its a newb asking a question about it.
>
> It does seem more about other MMO's mainly Runescape and how everyone hates it.

Exactly, it seems that the forums are only really talking about eclipse when it comes to helping someone out. This isn't aweful productive, though, because you're just repeating something already created or found out. I think that if the masterminds of the Eclipse forums start shifting their attention to boards like this, then the Eclipse engine will collapse.

@l0lz!:

I'm going to assume that was not purposeful.

@Thorn:

> I think a lot of people came here for the engine, but stayed because of the community. Because it's easier to just talk here then to get everyone to register someone else, the forums just adapted to be a kind of hangout site for a lot of people with a side focus on the actual engine.
> I mean, I don't even really use Eclipse. I just know some of the vets in real life, and the forums sounded fun so I came to hang out.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
I've been around since 2006, I suppose…  Thing is, I never actually USED eclipse until I started my recent game...  But this community is probably the best one I've ever been to!

Xavi I see where you are coming from, keeping the boards eclipse and having more of the main focus towards eclipse. And that is probably the better idea, but you all have some kick ass reasons lol. And you are right skell it is a good way to maybe get some people lookin around the boards that arnt just out to try to make an eclipse game.

I personally came here to create an Eclipse game, but I also come for the community. I have always enjoyed forums and, well… The only topic I have been replied on thus far, within like a day or two, is the WoW forums. Apparently scripts are of nobodies concern as of lately or I am just posting useless scripts. Not that I would know, since nobody responds. I can already tell that people talk about the engine a lot less than these games, and I only got here early yesterday. It's 3 am here now.

i came here to make a game and found this forum, liked it until now im constantly pissed off that i have to look at topics like "ZOMG WoW crap" in the recent topics menu instead of someone asking for help or someone's random question being answered.. it bothers me to the point to where i've just been avoiding this forum altogether and just logging in to see if someone sent me a PM asking a question..

i seen this post and felt like i should voice my opinion on it and it seems like im not the only one that doesnt like this new style.. i dont understand why we need boards for games who already have their own forums and boards…..

Honestly, this is exactly what Off Topic chat forums are for. Just figuring this out, mainly that nobody is even acknowledging anything that I have posted really discourages me from wanting to post here. I didn't come here to post about WoW, I came here to learn more about scripts, C++ and what other peoples opinions are on everything. The only forum that I have had any real response in is here.

Well I guess I can't argue with the fact that the community is awesome and everything. I suppose I should just let things be. I don't HAVE to post on these boards if I don't want to. I still think, though, that one of the big focuses should be the Eclipse engine.

Also, I'm really surprised I haven't gotten flamed because of this topic I made. I guess that's just another example of how good the community is.  :cheesy:

Most of the vets admins and mods aren't actually working on games anymore, thats why we need different boards.

also, @Arcterious

The scripting section is pretty dead, because many people don't know how to script. I check it from time to time, but the issues there are usually pretty complex, and honestly I dont feel like doing all thew work required to fix a script.

@AdrianC:

> Most of the vets admins and mods aren't actually working on games anymore, thats why we need different boards.
>
> also, @Arcterious
>
> The scripting section is pretty dead, because many people don't know how to script. I check it from time to time, but the issues there are usually pretty complex, and honestly I dont feel like doing all thew work required to fix a script.

I ain't even worried about the questions. Just because someone doesn't know how to script, doesn't necessarily mean that they can't add in a script that someone made. Let alone comment on one asking what it does exactly. Mine are straight forward, sure, and like I said, they might not be that interesting and is why they aren't being replied to. Which is fine, I don't mind that much. I noticed though, that there are very few scripts that people even reply to at all. Honestly though, if you checked out my scripts, would they be all that lack of interest in them? I don't know. What about a Newbie Script Guide? I would be willing to make it, seeing as I only learned to script worth a damn around a week or two ago.
Honestly, the best newbie guides come from newbies.

Yes, however ppl don't really care about random scripts until they actually want a certain feature in their game. And as I said before, scripting is more complex then your standard eclipse features, and some people just don't want to struggle to understand them.

Try another section maybe?

I don't mind talking about other things. I just personally don't understand why none of the other forums are being used other than the forums that relate in no way to the engine. I have been to bigger forums than this one and there was a ton of random stuff being talked about… In the Off Topic sections. Not in a separate section for games unrelated. They always kept using the other forums, answering every one's questions and kept posting in forums that the site was originally intended for. As far as I am concerned, these were only made to get the community more involved. It did, but it made everyone leave their real intentioned community.

@Rogue:

> tbh this thread should be in the off topic board since its not actually related to wow

But it is. It may not be related strictly specificly to WoW, but it is related to WoW. I could have posted it on any other one of the multiplayer boards, but I chose here because I thought more people would read it then, say, the RS board.

But, if the admins see fit to lock or delete this topic, then so be it. Personally, though, I think it sparked a good conversation.