Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sleep Paralysis

Zopto

What is  Sleep Paralysis??

**Sleep paralysis** is a phenomenon in which people, either when falling [asleep](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep) or wakening, temporarily experience an inability to move. More formally, it is a transition state between [wakefulness](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakefulness) and rest characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It can occur at sleep onset or upon awakening, and it is often associated with terrifying visions

(MIND IS AWAKE ,BODY IS NOT)

My story:

last cople months i think i have sleep paralysis one heppend last night

i wake up i move my eyes but i cant move my arms or legs, i try to  scream but i cant i panic !  I See my cat moving in room and i saw tv was Turned on i am 99% that was not dream …it it really scary  after 10-30 sec it stops and i can move agen...it was like my mind was awake and body is sleeping

some ppl even have visions of demons,aliens or even god... good thing i dont have that yet.....

dose any one haved This kind of [**_experience_**](https://www.google.rs/search?client=firefox-a&hs=B9s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=experience&spell=1&sa=X&ei=pDA-UoWkMqbX0QXe1YD4Dw&ved=0CCcQvwUoAA&biw=1366&bih=640&dpr=1)?

Years ago when I first got sick I stopped sleeping for days on end, because I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and seizures disorder. I was unable to sleep due to the hallucinations and the doctor put me on medicine that was supposed to help me to sleep, It didn't work, I awoke being trapped in my own body. I was unable to move, but I could see perfectly. Unfortunately the hallucinations still appeared in that state, I actually had resigned myself to die to the demons that haunted me. Not sure how long it took, but I was eventually able to move and life went a bit crazy from there, till I got on the proper medication and therapy.

Might be a bit different for others, but I'm sure the sleep medication, mixed with schizophrenia, and lack of sleep might have played a big part in it for me.

Zesh is right though, relaxation is key (even though I didn't see it at the time).

It's happened to me a few times. One time I had a rather frightening case. I could see my room, but couldn't move or speak as usual. Then suddenly a dark being hovered over me, grabbed me by the throat and started choking me. I struggled in my mind to wake up because I knew I was having sleep-paralysis. After a few seconds I managed to snap out of it. This is a fairly common occurence, with about 20-30% of people having at least one experience (with and without nightmares). It has been noted in different cultures and studied by some notable sources.

Quote, "There are a number of historical and urban cultural myths, which can be, somewhat, explained by this experience. The 'Incubus', which appears in ancient literature, is one such example. In the book Incubus by Kiessling, It was described as half man half beast, attacking in the night. The word night "mare" has been derived from the word incubus. In Greek it was ephialtes, in Latin incubus, in German mar/mare, in Old English maire, Old Norse mara, Old Irish mar/mor, and all mean "one who leaps on, oppresses or crushes."

It has also been called 'The Old Hag' a description and myth coming out of several cultures. The Old Hag was described in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

The 'Old Hag' attack is most closely associated with extreme pressure on the chest while sleeping on your back. People may also feel like they are being choked or even bitten. In his research, Al Cheyne of the University of Waterloo has discovered that between 25 and 30 per cent of the population reports that they have experienced at least a mild form of sleep paralysis at least once. It most often has an adolescent onset but can begin at any age."

> I have it sometimes, but I can always free myself if I just start to move my fingers first and then more of my body… Never had any halucinations or anything.

Hallucination is a pretty strong term. I like to view it more as a semi-conscious nightmare. Otherwise, dreams could be considered hallucinatory. Many researchers would agree with you though.

Quote, "A dream has been defined by some (e.g. Encyclopædia Britannica) as a hallucinatory experience during sleep."